Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Work in Progress Wednesday - 7/31/2013

A finished top:
Charmed Snowballs

Next up, layer and baste. This is my least favorite part of the whole process.  Due to arthritis, tendonitis, inflammation, and whatever other "itises" in my hands, I don't use safety pins, too painful.  So I pin-baste with straight pins. The "itises" in my knees don't love spending a couple hours crawling around on the floor, either.  But it gets the job done and I can move on to the next step. I've tried spray basting and didn't like it, so this works better for me.
Pin Basting

Ready to quilt -
I have a wonderful sewing table from Tracey's Tables that opens up to what my husband calls "Aircraft Carrier Mode" when it's fully opened.  It's huge and I love it!  I'm starting with stitch-in-the-ditch in the straight seams, then I can remove the pins and add the rest of the quilting.  With straight pins instead of safety pins for the basting, I do get pricked and scratched up a bit during the quilting, but I've figured out how to minimize that as much as possible.
Quilting

Hoping to get the quilting finished this week.

Linking up with Work in Progress Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced - check out all the creative projects over there!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am jealous of your aircraft carrier! This is truly a beautiful quilt and very visually arresting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is lovely, quite cheery. And your table is a treasure. I can't imagine crawling around on the floor for even 5 min. let alone 2 hours. But I have never had floor space big enough, let alone clean enough, to lay a quilt out on the floor anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! I also don't like the basting stage, good luck with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete