Monday, September 30, 2013

Design Wall Monday 9/30/2013: Table runner

I'm still working on my hand applique on the Dresden rows, but you've seen that project before so I'll refrain from showing it again until the top is finished. It's slow going.

But - Finally I'm back in the sewing room!  I need a table runner and placemats for the kitchen table. The wood is too pretty to hide under a tablecloth all the time, but it needs to be protected from spills & scratches. So, I think I'll make a table runner and at least two placemats. 

I had heard somewhere that you can use The Binding Tool by TQM products to make a French Braid.
The Binding Tool
by TQM Products

So, I pulled some fabrics that go with my kitchen and cut a 2-1/2" WOF strip or two of each, and cut the shapes using the binding tool.  I started with a square in the center and discovered it should be oblong; I'll fix it when I'm ready to sew.

Here's my design wall with pieces laid out:
Runner & placemat layout
 
I think I'll do this as a quilt-as-you-go project, using the sew-and-flip method.  That means I have to find backing and batting and prep them.  Once the French Braid units are all sewn down, I'll add end triangles to square it off and side strips to make it the right width.  I'm not sure yet what the finished dimensions will be, but when I post the finish, I'll give the dimensions & number of pieces. On the wall here it's about 6 feet long by one foot wide, but that's before the seam allowances consume some of it. 
 
Cutting these binding tool shapes from WOF strips yielded five pieces per strip (plus one 2-1/2" square).  There are enough cut pieces that are not on the wall for at least another placemat, plus probably a few extra. 
 
Then I think I'll use the extra squares to make some 9-patch potholders.  The potholders I have are from 10 years ago when we remodeled the kitchen, and they've certainly seen better days. Past due for replacements!
 
Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday - check out all the creative inspiration over there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment