Sunday, January 26, 2014

Stash Report 1/26/14: The Stash Always Wins

In this week, 3 yards.
Out this week, 4-3/4 yards, used for the top of book quilt # 2, "Labyrinth."

I'll tally up the total ins and outs at the end of the month. I'm still very much in the hole for the year, but I'll dig out as I progress with the book quilts.

I calculate yardage required for a pattern according to AQS's guidelines (page 5 here).  According to the calculations, I needed 2-1/2 yards each of two colors. After pre-washing, cutting, and completing the top, I'm left with a generous 1/8 yard of each fabric left. That means I used 4-3/4 yards (counted out of the stash) but bought 5 yards (in). I understand the calculations and agree with the methodology, but at this rate, the stash will always win!

I finally solved the problem of pleasing contrast for book quilt #3, which I'm calling "Singing the Blues."  I was again disappointed with something I ordered, so I shopped at a LQS and found the medium blue shown here. The very pale print is for the background, and the medium and dark blues contrast nicely to form the pattern.
 
#1 goal for this week is to get Labyrinth quilted, which I'm doing myself using the walking foot.  Right now it's spread out on my dining room floor so I can finish marking and pin-basting it.  Labyrinth is 60 x 72, about the biggest I can manage on my own.
 
#2 goal for this week is to get the workshop quilt bound and the sleeve & label attached, but it isn't back from the quilter yet so I'm getting concerned.  It's 75 x 90, which will take me awhile to bind, sleeve, etc.  I have to have all that done so I can photograph the quilt for the front of the pattern.  The pattern has to be edited, finalized, and 20 copies printed before the H&H meeting on Feb 11.
 
#3 goal for this week is to produce & publish the CSQ newsletter. We've had a lot going on lately and I have a lot more notes and photos for it than usual.
 
It'll be a busy week!
 
Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times; check out everyone's efforts at stash management over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment