Monday, August 4, 2014

So Much Fun at Retreat!

There were six of us, 4 quilters and two scrap-bookers. We were there from Friday noon to Sunday late afternoon. We had a great space with lots of room, plenty of table space, plenty of room for all of our gear plus the ironing station. We had music, movies, the Cardinals games on the radio, plenty of food, and great conversation.
Workroom at retreat
 
Getting Set Up
 
I got a lot accomplished. First, I put the binding on this little blue baby quilt that was already quilted. Since I machine-finish all my bindings, that went pretty quickly. (Sorry for the indoor, poorly lit photos)
Blue Baby Quilt
 
Next I worked on quilting and binding this girl charity quilt (for donation to CSQ's charity quilt drive). I had it already layered and pin-basted, so I marked it and quilted it using the walking foot. I was able to get it bound and finished.
Girl Charity Quilt
 
Then I worked on some machine applique dots and some framed squares using batiks. I love batiks, but I haven't used them much lately! Late on Sunday, when I had the blocks together, I laid them out on a flannel-backed tablecloth, and one of the girls helped me move blocks around for better color placement. I'll put them all up on my design wall at home and work some more on the layout. This photo is before we started moving the colors around. Obviously the color placement needs adjusting in some places: there are several background batiks, and too many of the darkest ones are clustered together.
Design Floor - Blocks Laid Out
 
I had such a good time! This retreat was held at a Girl Scout camp, where our hostess was on duty as the Supervisor. Since her duties did not require 100% of her time, she was able to spend time sewing, and she invited us all to keep her company. Our hostess has been invited back by the GS event organizer for next year, so I hope we get to do this again! Thank you, Chrissy!
 
Linking up today with Judy at Patchwork Times; check out everyone else's design wall - or floor - over there for inspiration.

 

  
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. The retreat sounds great! You were obviously very productive. I do look forward to seeing how you piece together the batik blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplished a lot at your retreat! Your baby quilts are lovely. I really like your batik dots and squares quilt. I love batiks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sew productive! Great projects completed. Can't wait to see those batik blocs all sewn together! I REALLY need to get back to my batik stash.... time, I need more time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing time. I love those children's quilts you finished.

    ReplyDelete