Friday, December 5, 2014

Pantone's Marsala

Pantone, the internationally recognized authority on color, has announced it's Color of the Year for 2015: Marsala 18-1438. More info at Pantone's website here.
Image from Pantone's Website

Marsala is a muted shade of wine. In recent years Pantone's Colors of the Year have all been clean and bright, so this is a change of character for their featured color.

It will be interesting to see what impact Marsala has on quilting fabric design. Most of the Modern fabric collections have clear colors, not muted. Marsala seems like it would fit better into traditional and historic fabric designs.

While I like the Modern quilting aesthetic, my home décor is not Modern. It's actually very traditional, with deep warm rich colors. My front room was last painted ten years ago. Guess what? It's so old, it's now au courant! That's right, my wall is Marsala.
My Marsala Wall

I may have a UFO featuring this color. Maybe I should find it and finish it in 2015.

For anyone who's interested, the nearest Kona cotton match to Marsala is Wine 1390.
Kona nearest match to Marsala: 1390 Wine

I think my Marsala décor is whoop-worthy, so I'm linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.


P.S. The items in those picture frames are souvenir tickets that we've collected over the years, from events, vacation destinations, etc. Several years ago when our Christmas budget was very limited, I framed all these tickets and gave them to DH as his Christmas gift.

4 comments:

  1. I got a chuckle when I saw the announcement yesterday. It also reminded me that we need to replace our bottle cause I love chicken marsala. Hadn't thought about the clear modern colors versus this grayed down red. I think you're spot on with your assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The announcement yesterday was really interesting to me. I didn't really "feel" the color, but then again, I haven't exactly been excited about their colors for the past few years. Maybe it's just me. I really like it as a wall color in your home, and your framed ticket idea is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read about your wall being Marsala I had thought the same thing. I probably have a room with that same color. In fact in several houses I had that deep red color in rooms. I guess I'm more hip than I thought. Nah. probably not. Love the idea of the framed tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE A VERY SIMILAR COLOR THAT WENT ON THE WALLS IN LIVING AND DINING ROOMS IN '95. I NEED TO REPLACE THEM NOW BUT THE BUSINESS THAT MIXED THE COLOR AND SAVED THE FORMULA AND GUARANTEED THEY COULD REPRODUCE IT AT ANY TIME HAS GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. IHAVE SOME SWATCHES FROM HOME DEPOT BUT WILL CHECK YOUR COLOR. I HAD WHITE WALLS IN THOSE ROOMS FOR 30 YEARS AND WAS AMAZED HOW MUCH HAPPIER I WAS WITH RED.

    ReplyDelete