Wednesday, May 20, 2015

WIP 5/20/15: Crib Bumpers

Since DS is bringing baby CJ for the weekend, we got his old crib down from the attic. We got a new mattress for it, but I couldn't find crib bumpers. So I'm making them.

I found a cute critter print and some green to coordinate with it. I'm using two thicknesses of extra high-loft batting, so they're really puffy and firm. And hard to handle. I couldn't even attempt this without the walking foot, end even with it I have to pin, then baste the edges carefully to avoid puckers. (Wish I had some Wonder Clips!)  Here's progress so far:
Crib bumpers in progress

The fabric repeat happens to be 11-1/2" so that's the cut height of all the fabric panels. The ones for the long sides of the crib need to be 52" so I had to piece the fabric. I couldn't cut strips lengthwise because of the one-way print, so I cut WOF strips and matched the print. Can you see the seam?
Matched seam
 
Close up, matched seam
 
Good thing I don't mind sewing on binding; there's yards and yards of it on these. I finish it all by machine, but it's still time-consuming. I left long tails, which I'll press, stitch, and finish for the ties.
Lots of binding

Gotta get to work to get these finished for CJ! Can't wait to cuddle him...

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts. Check out all the other projects in work over there.


6 comments:

  1. You have made great progress so far! Your matching seam looks wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing job you did matching your seams - and I know that isn't easy with the way prints veer off sometimes! An adorable crib bumper. Enjoy your weekend with little CJ and your DS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little critter bumper pads are adorable! Of course I love that print and the green you chose coordinates perfectly. Those matched seams are so pro! Would love to hear about your method. Want to share a tutorial? Have fun cuddling with your CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric, and you found the perfect fabric color for the binding. I'm a big fan of the wonder clips! I think they are so worth it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are the cutest bumper pads I have ever seen!!! Great job n matching the seam.

    ReplyDelete