Monday, October 12, 2015

DWM 10/12/15: Only a little progress on the wall

My design wall looks a lot like it did last week; I made only a little progress on this top.

I was able to get the rows together, then plan and cut the border. I have just enough of the border print to miter & match the corners. I put the quilt center on the wall with the border fabric, but it needed a dark line to separate the border from the sashing. I found a dark brown like the stems in my stash that will work. The borders are not stitched on yet so I can determine the width of the brown stop border. As is, it would be 1-1/2" wide. I could trim it down to 1" wide like the sashing strips, or I could trim it to 1/2" like the stems. What do you think?

I did make other, non-design-wall, progress last week. I got the visual aids for the blocks for my workshop done. I covered three large foam core boards with batting, and mounted the step-outs and demo blocks on them.  Surprisingly, that took the better part of a day. I'm glad to have that out of the way with time to spare.

On tap for this week: get the borders on this top; make some more Antler Dance blocks; write the outline for my workshop. That should keep me busy! Check out what everyone else is working on at Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

  1. I think I would keep it 1-1/2" wide, personally. I like that it steps out in size from the sashing strips to the larger width of the outer border that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I think a half inch would be too narrow but 1" like the sashing might be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm for the 1.5" sashing. It's going to be a very pretty quilt when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the 1.5 in sashing as well. That is a really neat border print. It looks like my husband's embossed tooled leather belts. I really like the maple star blocks. I will have to keep these blocks in mind when I sort through my stash in the future.

    ReplyDelete