Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday Finish, Flannel

I mentioned awhile back that my husband requested a flannel quilt. He specified flannel on the back too, and wool batting. He thinks his cotton quilt feels cold.

I've been saving his flannel shirts that are too worn out to wear anymore, and back in April I picked up a few cuts of flannel fabrics in Paducah. At camp, I made blocks.

Now the blocks are a finished flimsy. It measures about 60 x 84. (It's raining here today, so we'll have to make do with indoor photos for now.)

Many of the fabrics are favorite shirts that I'm happy to repurpose. The light red plaid is particularly special due to its longevity and the memories attached to it. DH always looked good in the large scale olive ombre plaid, too. It's interesting, the bought flannels all read solid-ish from a distance and the repurposed shirts are all obvious patterns.

I've also been able to get the backing pieced. I used the backs of all the shirts plus the light plaid. I'll get outdoor photos of the whole backing later, but here it is indoors for now.

This quilt needs to be finished by mid November for DH's birthday. I'm going to ask a long-armer friend if she'll layer and baste it for me. Due to how much these fabrics ravel and fray, I want to quilt it with a serpentine zig-zag over every seam to reinforce them. 1/4" seam allowances are just too narrow for fabrics that ravel so much. If I ever make a flannel quilt again, I'll recalculate the patches so I can use 1/2" seam allowances. I did use 1/2" seam allowances on the backing, so I'm not concerned about those seams pulling apart.

This quilt will never be a work of art. It's intended to be a utility quilt, nice and cozy with flannel and wool to meet the specifications. If nothing else, it'll definitely be warm!

Linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and Friday Finish at Crazy Mom Quilts

PS - Yes, visible in the photos is the puppy gate that keeps Murphy out of the dining room. I should have folded it up out of sight....

4 comments:

  1. The quilt top looks great and it sounds like it is going to be a favorite quilt between the request and already associated memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is art...and its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the colors, you'd never guess it was re-purposed shirts. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our cabin quilts are flannel top and back with a wool batting. This looks great and will be so cozy!

    ReplyDelete