Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Lure of the Dollar Fat Quarters

A local fabric shop has periodic sales in which they offer fat quarters for $1.  Yes, $1.  And these are first quality designer quilt fabrics, not big-box pre-packaged poor quality FQs. My friend who works at the shop says they've been cutting and folding FQs for weeks.

You know me, I can't resist a bargain. 28 FQs later, my stash has grown a bit this week. And I don't regret a single one.

I don't have much in the way of patriotic colors so I searched for good reds and dark blues. The blues were surprisingly hard to find. Warm browns can sometimes mix nicely with patriotic colors so I grabbed a few rich ones, too.

What I found in abundance were a lot of neutrals. Some cool-cast, some warm, and some medium value instead of pale, but all very useful stash additions. (I actually picked up doubles of some of them, but only one of each is shown here.)

Not all of my new FQs have selvages with info, but the ones that do include Robert Kaufman (4), Andover Fabrics (6), Paintbrush Studio (2) and Carolyn Friedlander, Denise Schmidt, Jo Morton, and Red Rooster Fabrics.

So for $30 with tax plus a gallon of gas, I added 7 yards to my stash this week. Used this week, 3/4 yard for binding and sleeves for the Christmas Tree project. With my new additions I'm about at the break-even point for the year, but there's still plenty of month left before I tally the totals, so maybe I can use some more.


Linking up with Quilt Paint Create and Molli Sparkles

9 comments:

  1. It's hard to go wrong with a fat quarter for $1! Wow! And the patriotic colors make me think of the group project you had been working on with curved piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adds. Your show ribbons are very nice, nicer than anything I've ever seen at a show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stash additions! You can't go wrong with neutrals, especially for $1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to pass up stash additions for that price. Looks like you got some very good basics to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chose good, usable colors. For $1/each... who could blame you for adding to your stash?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! What an amazing bargain. Who can go wrong with R, W and B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so fortunate! That is a wonderful stash addition. I like to mix golds in with red/white/blue. I say it stands for the hearts of gold our military and their families have. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only $1.00 each!! You must have had restraint to stop at 28. I probably would have walked out with double that. Amazing bargain!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete