Friday, February 2, 2018

Roman Road and First Saturday Update

Roman Road was a BOM from a local quilt shop in 2015-16. Then it languished as a UFO for awhile. Now it's a finished flimsy.

Each month there was a main block - the complex star blocks with red in them - and an alternate block. The kits were provided by the shop, and the colors and theme were inspired by the shop owner's travels in Rome.

My friend Cherie created a modified version of the alternate block, resulting in fewer points to match when setting the blocks together. I actually took all my alternate blocks apart and remade them using Cherie's variation. Then I omitted some of the pieces around the outside edge and added black points to a first border to enhance the strong diagonals.

Whoo-hoo! This flimsy and its backing have an appointment to go to the quilter next week! It needs a good pressing first. I found off-white Grunge wide backing, similar to the Grunge used in the top but with a little more grey in it, which will be the perfect backing. I have enough of the light brown blender used in the alternate blocks to use for binding.

This quilt is 72" square, big for a throw. It may become a gift, or it may hang on a wall. I'm excited to have it off the UFO list and this close to done. I'll take it to First Saturday tomorrow to show my friends. They all participated in the shop's BOM so they all have their own versions of Roman Road either finished or in progress.

Speaking of First Saturday, progress continues on my red project. Each month I'm making at least one Dresden and one Checkerboard block, due on the first Saturday. My friends keep me accountable! I have one more of each completed for February, bringing the total to seven of each.


I'm looking forward to getting together with my friends tomorrow, and to seeing these and everyone else's projects coming along.


Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts

7 comments:

  1. The colors in your quilt top are magnificent! And the black point were genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! for your finish. Roman Roads is a lovely quilt. I love, love your Dresden and checkerboard blocks and am looking forward to seeing what they become. Have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a stunning quilt. Ah, Rome, such a lovely place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I do like your Dresden blocks, are they hard to make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roman Road came together beautifully. I hope you had a great time together yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is beautiful. The colors remind ME of Rome, too, and I haven't even been there!

    ReplyDelete