Monday, June 18, 2018

Heart Builders WIP

A couple weeks ago I received fabrics from Heart Builders to make a donation top for them.

I pulled some coordinating fabrics from stash, then set about designing something in EQ7. I wanted the light blue to be the background, and I wanted the focus to be on that western print. 

Unfortunately, all the options I tried required more light blue fabric than the 4 FQs I have. That western fabric really needs to be featured, not just chopped up to make the size work. I came up with a design I like that's in keeping with the theme and mood of the print, but it requires a lot more background fabric than I have here. 

OK, Plan B. I will use a different light blue background and use the blue FQs for a second Heart Builders top. Since I have a goal this year to piece and/or quilt one donation quilt a month, I can count these two Heart Builders tops for June and July, meet their deadline, and give them two instead of one. I'll just add some of my own fabrics. I have plenty of options I can work with. 

So here's a sneak peek of Plan B: 
Horizontal Bands of the focus fabric

Blocks inspired by the western theme

And here's a fabric pull for Plan C, the light blue FQs with a few friends from stash including some reclaimed shirtings. Is this too sophisticated? 

Heart Builders mentioned that they need quilts for older boys, masculine or gender neutral and not juvenile. I think both of these options will work. Now I just have to get busy and make them.


Link ups:





8 comments:

  1. I think both options are going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours you have pulled. I think they are both good for the target audience.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. You've managed to come up with a couple good plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These will be great! Sometimes a peaceful quilt is just right. These plans will make beautiful quilts that sing, not shout. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love those quilts you're beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those are both wonderful designs/palettes for older boys! You're a good egg to be rising to that challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both palettes are great choices for older boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you let the fabric drive your design for the plan B. The fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete