Pages

Monday, August 31, 2026

Checkered Garden

Linda from Kokaquilts is making a Checkered Garden quilt in a palette of blush pinks and caramels. Squirrel!!! I have to make one. I've had an inspiring fabric for a while, a floral print with purple and peach in it, and now I know what I want to do with it. 

I pulled fabrics from my stash that might go with it to make a Checkered Garden block. The inspiration fabric is in the corners here. 


So far, so good. I think this will be a one-block-at-a-time project, so I can enjoy the process of designing each one. 


I have a lot of fabrics in these colorways. I want to emphasize the purple and peach shades more than the caramel in some of the blocks. With a limited palette of peach and cinnamon shades, ecru and cream, mauve and purple and some caramel, the overall quilt should have a warm vibe. I might add a touch of green for contrast. 

I'm thinking of including the inspiration fabric in all the blocks, in the various positions. Thoughts? 

My blocks are 14" so I'm shooting for a 4 x 5 layout for a 56 x 70" quilt. This one will be fun to create! 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts


4 comments:

  1. I love the one at a time method. It’s like an Easter egg hunt through the fabric stash to find fun and interesting combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s going to be a beautiful quilt; great couch size too. I too love the idea of doing a block at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read to the end of your post I wondered if you would use the inspiration fabric in each block. I think that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete