Pages

Friday, August 7, 2026

Two Small Mary's Triangles Quilts

You may remember, I was making Mary's Triangles at social sewing. I planned them for a small quilt, baby or wheelchair* size. I set them on point with alternate plain squares and made this top.

I bundled the top together with batting and backing for someone else to quilt and finish. My friend Linda adopted it and finished it. Here's the photo she sent me.

Evidently I miscalculated the number of blocks I needed, because I had almost as many left over. Rather than let them sit in a scrap drawer forever, or become dog bed filler, I made some more blocks using black and white prints and made this top. 

The second top is only 40" wide, so it's small enough to fit on one width-of-fabric backing if quilted on my domestic machine. Since I don't have access to PCQ's long arm until September and I have larger tops in the queue to be quilted, I decided to quilt this one at home. 

I had enough of one of the B+W prints used in the blocks for the back. Walking foot quilting in the ditch - horizontally, vertically, and along the diagonal seams - resulted in a stable but soft and drapey quilt. I bound it with a B+W stripe at a social sewing event earlier this week. 

The first quilt will go to Hospice and the second quilt will go to Luke AFB for a young family.

My little Mary's Triangles blocks finished at 4", but they can be made any size and they're very versatile. The confetti-and-streamers quilt in my blog header is all Mary's Triangles. Here's a link to the tutorial for making them the easy two-at-a-time method. 


*Per Hospice, wheelchair quilts should be about 42-46" square or so. Too wide and they get hung up in the wheels. This also is a good size for baby quilts. 


Link up: Alycia Quilts





10 comments:

  1. The variation between the two quilts is striking and a great way to showcase how versatile the block is. I really like the black and white prints, especially the binding, on the version you finished. I'm glad Linda was able to finish the first for you and hooray for them both being ready to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to go wrong with Mary's Triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although these two quilts are made with the same block, they are so different! Like brothers from different mothers, lol. I don't know which one I prefer. They are both great. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, these are so different but I love both of them! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts, and I love the choice of the black and whites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always fun to see how different settings result in completely different quilts. Both turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Such a variety of different designs from one block.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are Both so great!! I just love that striped binding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay love both the these layouts! I know this as a "Cat's Cradle" block but also remember seeing it referred to as Mary's Triangles. It's a favorite to make with shortcuts so will have to file away your ideas for a future project.

    ReplyDelete