Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Inspired by Lorna

I've been inspired by Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts. She's making Little Blooms, her original pattern, and I am reposting her photo here:
 
I commented on her post that it would be interesting to reconfigure the wrench-shaped block segments and make them look like gears, and she agreed. So, thank you Lorna for the inspiration! I played a little in EQ:
Inspired by Lorna's blocks
 
Definitely not a final design yet, but it certainly has possibilities. Lots of interesting shapes in the sashing/negative space here.  Maybe half-drop the blocks to make the gears look more interlocked...
 
I'm starting to see other pieced gear motifs; Shelley over at The Carpenter's Daughter Who Quilts has a really cool one that you can see here. I like how masculine they look. You can make gears as Dresden Plate variations, too.
 
I love how this quilting blogging community we're all a part of is so inspiring! What have you been inspired by lately? Check out all the quilty eye candy at Lorna's Let's Bee Social linky party.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a great source of inspiration and play! The gears are fun, and mixing in the modern plus in the center is a nice touch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - and I like the decent colour of your drawing (it reminds me on Japanese taupe quilts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where you'll take this design, but I love it already, especially the way the circles emerge in the design. And the colors are great for gears!

    ReplyDelete