Monday, June 22, 2015

New Project: Kaffe Fasset Prints and Batik Flying Geese

So I started a new project last week....
In an effort to use stash, I pulled out my collection of Kaffe Fasset prints. When I was working on my book, my editors asked that one quilt be made of Kaffe Fasset prints. I bought some, and Westminster Fibers very kindly helped with sample cuts of several prints. Since they only sample whole yards, I had a lot of fabric left over. I pulled a few batiks that harmonize with them. I started making Flying Geese units with white background black & white print for the sky.
Design Wall 6/22/2015

I needed a few more FG so I bought some new prints to go with the older ones.
New KF Prints

Made more Flying Geese with white sky. Then started making some with black background prints for the sky. I use the four-at-a-time method, and they're all pinned to the wall in batches of four.
KF & Batik FG Units
 
I have a few more dark ones to go, then I can start laying them out. 
FG Units & Cut Pieces for More
 
I'll end up with 13 columns by 30 rows of 3x6" geese, for a 78 x 90" top. The plan is for 13 columns, the outside columns and two inner ones dark, and the rest light. The columns will alternate pointing up and down, with the dark ones all pointing down. Easy to mesh seam allowances that way.

Some of my prints are directional. I'll post a quickie tutorial Wednesday on dealing with directional prints using the four-at-a-time method of making flying geese.

After I get these all laid out on the wall, I'll label the columns and rows and pack them up to assemble at quilt camp at the end of July. Since they'll all be organized, it'll just be easy piecing, which is good for at camp. I'm usually too busy having a good time, talking, etc. and I mess up if I have to cut something or think too much about how to assemble something.

Although I've cut over nine yards of fabric for this project, I won't be able to count any of it out for awhile in my stash report, until I get the top sewn. I'm linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times. Check out the other inspiring design walls over there.

This was a lot of sewing, much of it done last week, but over the weekend it was therapeutic for me. We had to put our beloved Bax to sleep Saturday morning. We knew it was coming but that doesn't make it any easier. I retreated to my sewing room and sewed all the rest of the weekend. Bax never went in there, so it was easier to be where he wasn't, in a room where he never was anyway.  RIP, Bax.



7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the FG finale. It will be awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sewed some flying geese this weekend myself! I look forward to your tutorial / tips on how to deal with directional prints - that can be a challenge. And I am still sending you love on your loss of Bax. Fur babies are such an integral part of a family, and I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Bax. Sending you hugs. Your flying geese look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your dog, it is so hard to lose them. I hope the bright, pretty blocks are bringing some sunshine to your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo sad to say goodbye to our fury four paw family members....heartfelt sympathy to you.

    Your top is amazing...I'll be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your flying geese. So sorry about Bax. It is hard to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about Max. We had to put our 16 yo retriever down last week too. I'm feeling for you

    ReplyDelete