Friday, June 14, 2024

Stacked Slabs

Although I haven't been blogging much lately, I've been working on PCQ community service projects behind the scenes. 

We revised our schedule this year. Last year we were a little too ambitious, - and productive! - and we had a new quilt project for each month's Community Service sew day. Our batting budget couldn't keep up. Some of us felt pressured to finish a charity quilt top each month. This year we're allocating two months for sewing a given pattern. 

Our March-April project was a new pattern for us, Stacked Slabs. After finishing the top in May, I had time booked on the long arm at the beginning of June and got it quilted, and now it has been finished and donated. It's twin bed size because that's what several of the agencies we support need. 

When we made up the Stacked Slabs kits, I chose from the overflowing Novelty fabric bins and pulled everything with an ocean/beach/tropical/water theme: dolphins and whales, surfers and surfboards, palm trees, mermaids... I had made my Sea Turtle toddler quilt then, so I added in the turtle print leftovers, too. Then I pulled from the blue, teal, and green fabric bins to round out the palette. 

This pattern is super easy, just 4-1/2" wide strips cut either 20-1/2" or 10-1/2" long, laid out in rows staggered like bricks. No blocks, no seams to match, and the fabrics do all the work. 

After I had pulled all the fabrics for the top, we received another very generous donation of fabrics which included this stunning African print and some watery prints in matching colors. With careful planning, I was able to piece together a large enough backing featuring the African print. This could almost be a two-sided quilt. 

If you would like a PDF of the Stacked Slabs pattern for any charitable purpose, leave a comment and be sure to type your email address in the body of your comment. When I get a chance to update my Charity Quilt Patterns tab above, I'll add this pattern to it. 


Linking up with Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts



9 comments:

  1. Oh these colors together are so calming, and I think it is absolutely a two sided quilt. It will be treasured by the right person, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt. Great revision to a more manageable schedule for making future quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Stacked Slabs, quick and easy. Please send me the pdf. Thanks. Tlcahaynes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The watercolor effect of all those fabrics together is really cool. Congrats on the finish, someone is really going to love that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern and the colors/fabrics you chose are very striking. I would very much like to get the pdf pattern for use in my guild for community service quilts. Thanks. scrappyquiltsrme@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors of your quilt. I would love to add the pattern to my charity quilt options. nhager@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always looking for different patterns for charity quilts. I really like the way this came together. Very pretty! I would love to receive a pdf. Strnr@aol.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it!!! its very calming, and I like that you have slowed down your schedule - kind of relieves the pressure .. enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. It will be perfect for my guild (Waterloo County Quilters Guild) outreach for sick kids. Blpcruzn at comcast.net

    ReplyDelete