Friday, August 21, 2026

O Tannenbaum Two

Back in 2017 I made my son a Christmas Tree quilt to hang on a door and hold real ornaments. You can see it here with ornaments, and here is the tutorial.

He started a new job last summer, and learned at Christmastime that everyone in this office decorates their cubicles for the holidays. He requested another Christmas tree, sized to fit his cubicle. So of course I'm making him one. 

This one is 52" tall (for a 60" wall height) and 28" wide. I still need to add the loops for hanging the ornaments. 74 of them, one at each triangle intersection. 

To hang it on his cubicle wall, DH and I came up with a hanging system. I sketched the idea on a sticky note, sent it to my son, and he's supposed to get back to me with the width of his cubicle wall top. DH can make the hangers from heavy gauge wire. 


The tree quilt has sleeves at the top and bottom of the back. We'll get 1/2" dowels at the hardware store. The one for the bottom, just to weight it and keep it hanging flat, won't show at all. The other, for the top, will have finials at the ends. The top rod will rest on the hanger brackets. 

DH, a very handy guy, is also a potter, and he sculpted a 4" high star for the top of the tree. When our Creative Arts building reopens in September, he'll glaze and fire it. 

Next up, a storage and presentation bag for the tree. I'll make it like a pillowcase, large enough to accommodate the rolled up tree, and tie the opening with ribbon. This will be both the gift wrap and a dust cover for storage. 

Our plan is to have everything done by the end of September, ship it out in early October, and he'll have it in plenty of time to decorate in November. Maybe he can find a new pickle ornament to hang on it. 

I don't know if his office has a contest for best decorated cubicle, but if they do, his tree is surely in the running. 

He still uses his original Christmas Tree hanging, since his condo doesn't have room for a three-dimensional tree. 


Link ups: Alycia Quilts 8/21, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts 8/24. 

No comments:

Post a Comment