Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Scrappy Nine-Patch Stars QOV Tutorial

Earlier in October I posted a QOV top that I had completed at retreat. The blocks were mostly leader/enders that were already made. Here the top is shown horizontally on my design wall.

This is a super easy project, a great scrap buster, suitable for all skill levels, and it's a great throw size, 60" x 84".  I promised a tutorial, so here it is.

Scrappy Nine-Patch Stars Tutorial

copyright 2017 Jan Ochterbeck

Nine-Patch Stars QOV, 60" x 84"


Materials:
Use as much variety as possible. If using scraps, pieces must be large enough to cut 7” squares.
·       Assorted dark prints: reds, blues, tans, etc., about 3 yards total.
·       Assorted light neutral prints, about 3-1/2 yards total.
·       5-1/4  yards backing fabric

·       3/4 yard binding fabric

Cutting:
·       Cut the following from assorted Light prints:
o   35     7” squares
o   16     6-1/2” squares
o   224   2-1/2” squares (or 14 WOF strips)
·       Cut the following from assorted Red prints:
o   16     7” squares
·       Cut the following from assorted Blue Prints:
o   19     7” squares
·       From assorted dark prints (reds, blues, tans, etc.) cut the following:
o   262   2-1/2” squares (or 17 WOF strips)



Make blocks:
·       Half Square Triangles: Make 16 assorted red HSTs and make 19 blue HSTs
o   Mark each 7” light square on the diagonal on the wrong side
o   With a light and a dark 7” square right sides together, stitch 1/4” on each side of the diagonal line
o   Cut apart on the diagonal line and press seams open
o   Square up and trim to 6-1/2”

·       Nine-patch blocks: Make blocks as scrappy as possible. Note: strip piecing will speed up the process; sub-cut strips into 2-1/2” units. 
o   Make 46 nine-patch blocks with dark corners
o   Make 8 nine-patch blocks with light corners

Assembly:
·       Lay out blocks and plain light squares in rows following the diagram below.
·       Note that the light-corner nine-patch blocks are used only within the stars, alternating with dark-corner nine-patch blocks. All other nine-patch blocks used elsewhere have dark corners.
·       Sew blocks into rows; press seams in odd-numbered rows to the left and even-numbered rows to the right.
·       Sew rows together.
Row Assembly Diagram

Finishing:
·       Piece backing to 70” x 94”
·       Layer, baste, and quilt as desired.
·      Cut 8 WOF binding strips 2-1/2” wide; join lengthwise and bind using your preferred method.


This easy layout of simple nine-patch and HST components would make a great throw in any colorway, not just for QOV. Does someone on your list need a quilty gift this holiday season?
Christmas Colorway

Girly Colorway

If you would like a PDF of the tutorial, please leave a comment.
Be sure to include your email address so I can send the PDF to you. 


Link-ups:  Sew Fresh Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation, Confessions of a Fabric Addict



14 comments:

  1. I make quilts for QOV and would love a PDF please! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, you are a no-reply blogger. Please send me your email address so I can send you the PDF.

      Delete
  2. Yes, what Donna said! I love the Christmas color way-it's beautiful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, you are also a no-reply blogger. Please send me your email address so I can send you the PDF.

      Delete
  3. I love it - thanks for taking the time to post a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! I'm finishing the last of 11 QOVs that will be presented at a local school's Veterans Day program next Friday and I've started pulling fabric (and patterns) for the next batch. Many, if not most of my QOVs are scrappy and I love the idea of making this using the leader/ender concept. I'd love a pdf of this quilt. Thanks for the tutorial and offering it to us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a pdf of this. dorthac at aol.com Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please send me a pdf of this 9 patch. It is excellent for my charity group. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great scrap buster. Thanks for for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would appreciate it deeply to have a PDF sent to me. Thanks, dianequilter at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always looking for an easier QOV pattern--yours looks perfect!! Would love the pattern. shirleyjulie@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send me the PDF. Thanks for sharing. Darlene dhoctor@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. PDF would be great, thanks 1999bonne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have the PDF file. This will make a great project for our QOV group. Thanks

    ReplyDelete