Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Red Project: Prepping for Snowball Corners

I've been working on Dresden plate and checkerboard blocks each month for awhile, and I share my progress with my Alternative First Saturday friends to keep me accountable for moving forward. Prior to July First Saturday I finished the last Dresden block.

I put all the blocks on the design wall to take photos to show the girls my progress:

The next step in the process will be to snowball all the corners. Since I'm using several different blues, I don't want the same blue touching itself at any corner. So, as long as the blocks were on the wall anyway, I went ahead and worked on the layout. 

First I checked to make sure the same red wasn't touching itself in any of the corners. Then I added the cut pieces of blue I'll use for the snowballs, distributing the different prints around among the blocks. What a difference the snowball corners make! They reduce the blocky square effect you see in the photo above, and create strong diagonal movement.

The squares are just folded and pinned to the wall.

I labeled the blocks with their location numbers so I can take them off the wall and get them back in the right order later. I'll work on getting the snowball corners stitched in time for August First Saturday. After that, I'll applique the center circles to all the blocks for September First Saturday. Meanwhile, with everything labeled, I can take the blocks off the wall to use the wall for something else.

It's good to see visible progress on this project other than just individual blocks. Thanks, AFS friends, for keeping me accountable.


Linking up with Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts

7 comments:

  1. It is so fun to see how even just pinning the snowball corners transforms the blocks and quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yvonne, the changes are amazing! Beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE how this quilt is looking! I do like the snowball corners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those corners make a wonderful difference -- isn't it fun when a longer term project finally comes off the design wall ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on all the progress. This is such a cool quilt. Those blue snowball corners really change the look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how adding the corner triangles can make such a huge difference in the overall look of the quilt. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete