Friday, July 20, 2018

Friends and Fabric

Last week I had the pleasure of meeting up with friends from the quilting world. Julie Sefton, aka "Quilt Diva Julie" who blogs at Me and My Quilts, Exploring the Possibilities, was in St. Louis for a trunk show and workshop with one of the guilds in town. This is the first time I've met her in real life.
L-R: Me, Julie, Cherie, Kevin

Julie is the author of Build-A-Barn, No Pattern Construction.  She's friends with Kevin the Quilter and with Cherie (Quilted Jonquil) who was one of the members of Julie's "Secret Society of Barn Builders."
Julie's book, available from her blog

Julie's trunk show was terrific; she brought 40 quilts. She loves color, the more saturated the better, and her quilts all have a fun cheerful vibe. My favorite is her recently finished Spotted Winkle.

Kevin and I met up with Julie at a local fabric shop that just happened to be having it's FQ sale going on that day - FQs for $1.09 each. At that price, I stock up for making donation quilts. And, who am I kidding, for general stash enhancement. My stash report will take a hit this month.

Some warm colors:

Some good kid prints:

Some stash basics:

And some low volumes:

All good useful additions to the stash, and some of them will definitely find their way into Nurses for Newborns quilts or other donation quilts. 

In addition to my purchases, Julie very generously gifted me some yardage from her stash that she suggested I could use for backings for donation quilts. Thank you, Julie! 

I have met some of the nicest people through blogging. It's so fun to meet people in real life that I feel like I already "know" from their blogs.  I enjoyed your visit, Julie, and I hope we get to meet up again!


In other quilty news, the 12 Days of Christmas in July blog hop continues, hosted by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Check out all the posts for some clever gift and decor ideas while there's still plenty of time to make them before December. 



6 comments:

  1. How awesome to get to meet Julie in person after "meeting" online. It sounds like a great time, and I know her gifts of yardage will be put to good use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I bet her quilts were just amazing in person!!! Glad you all had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jan -- it was absolutely a pleasure to meet you, too! Here's to the joyful world of quilt bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous!! You got to spend time with some of my favorite quilt bloggers. I'm sure you must have had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like way to much fun! I agree quilting bloggers are the nicest people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding fabric on sale is always a bonus, congrats on picking up some wonderful prints. Love the picture of the four of you, those smiles are contagious!

    ReplyDelete