Pin Basting Dresden Rows
I'm working on machine quilting it on my Bernina. It's been frustrating.
First, what color thread to use? The backing is chevron stripes on a white ground. On a test sample, I tried brown thread in the top and white in the bobbin. I ended up with white thread showing on top and brown showing on the back. Definitely not OK. I tried brown in the bobbin. It was OK on the top, but I hated how it looked on the back, so unflattering to the chevron stripe fabric.
So I'm using microfilament invisible thread for both the top and the bobbin. Problem #1 solved.
I started with SID between the Dresden rows and the brown. Lots of pivoting, but so far so good.
I knew I wanted stippling in the brown areas. After some tension issues and some ripping, I was able to FMQ the brown areas.
Next, I wanted to follow the linear shapes of the Dresdens in the rows, but I couldn't work out a way to do it with the walking foot, and my FMQ skills are definitely not up to the challenge. I sketched what I thought would work. I tried - and ripped out - three different attempts to try to quilt those shapes in linear patterns. Have you ever tried ripping out invisible thread?
I ended up going with simple chevrons across the Dresden rows. It requires marking the pivot points, so I made a template for the dots. The stitching is very slow going, lots of pivoting which means wrestling the bulk under the machine every two inches. But, problem #2 is solved.
Chevron Quilting in the Dresden Rows
I have two of the Dresden rows done. Now, I'm almost out of thread. I've had it for years, there's no label on the cone, I have no idea where I got it, and I need more to finish the quilting. So this project is on hold until I can find more thread. Wish me luck in solving problem #3!
Even though there have been a few setbacks with the quilting, I still like this design. I'll find the thread and get it finished soon.
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday - check it out.