Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Making HSTs

I was inspired to play with Churn Dash blocks so I pilled fabrics from stash and I've been making Half-Square Triangles. They'll finish at 3" for 9" blocks.

I'm using Triangles on a Roll paper, my favorite method for HSTs. Here's the paper pinned to the fabrics. I pin it to the lighter fabric so when I press, I can press the seam allowances toward the darker fabric.
 
Here's a close-up of the instructions:
 
For 12 blocks I made 48 triangles. Here they are cut apart:
 
Nest step: tearing off the paper and trimming the ears:
 
Striped fabrics end up vertical and horizontal, but when you move the HSTs around they work:
 
 
I'll be playing with these some more this week. Meanwhile, I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced; check out the other WIPs over there.

1 comment:

  1. I've never used triangles on a roll- but I imagine they make for wonderful accuracy!

    ReplyDelete