Monday, August 28, 2023

What I've Been Up to Lately

 ...Not blogging! 

I've actually been pretty busy with quilty things, but not all of them lend themselves to photos and blog posts. In no particular order: 

Prepping for and teaching a color class for quilters. Two lessons down, four to go. Prep takes a lot of time, both to think through how I want to organize the lesson and to put together the demo materials. We're using a book as a guide, and color chips from a printed fabric panel. *

Colors influenced by Season

Photo credits: Linda L. 

I've also been working - a lot - on PCQ's Community Service Christmas Quilts for Hospice, but I'll write more about that in a separate post. 

Linda, Edna, and I finished our second Scrappy Celebration top in bright colors; Linda assembled it. She passed it and the fabric for the back to me, and I've pieced the back. It's twin size and I'll quilt it on the club's long arm later this week. Right now both the top and the back are pinned to my design wall because they're pressed and I'm keeping them wrinkle-free. Here's the top: 

We've been working on blocks for a third Scrappy Celebration, in patriotic colors. We need a few more blocks. This is certainly not the final layout; the stand-out colors and prints need to be assorted better across the top. 


And last but not least, remember my Kaffe gradient project that I worked on at retreat in July? I've revised the layout a few times, and here's where I ended up. I was aiming for a smooth-ish transition from the blues to the reds and pinks so I had to bring in a couple of non-Kaffe prints with purple in them, but they harmonize well. 


 I'm working on adding the sashing for a luminous stained glass look, here placed on the wall but not sewn. I found backing for it this week, the Kaffe fans print in purple. Perfect! 


The next few weeks are likely to be equally busy, so forgive me if I don't post as often as usual. Once I finish teaching my class later in October things will ease up a bit. I have to say, I have a whole new respect for teachers! I don't know how they manage to prep lessons and teach day after day! 

* The Quilter's Field Guide to Color by Rachel Hauser, and a printed Kona color panel from Robert Kauffman, which we got from Hancock's of Paducah. No affiliation.


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts


5 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at what prepping to teach a class does to me. Kudos to all who put themselves out there to share what they know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have been busy and what you can and do show here looks fantastic. And I completely agree - teaching is a LOT of work; teachers are vastly underpaid in my opinion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some beautiful quilts in he works! Thank you for using my book as a base for your class. I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying the Scrappy Celebration quilts - very inspiring. Good luck with your classes; I remember a friend taking a whole series of "color theory" classes in college and talking about how difficult and confusing it was - she was a fine arts person and I thought all her classes seemed daunting. Teaching it would seem like a bigger challenge.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Scrappy Celebration quilts turned out beautifully. I really like the red, white and blue one. Teaching is a lot of work, but it looks like you've done a great job with the prep work for that. Your Kaffe gradiant is pretty spectacular. Are you keeping that one?

    ReplyDelete