Monday, April 22, 2024

On the Design Wall: Hot Hot Hot Plus Cool and Breezy

The girls in the hive finished making the blocks for the warm colorway of Scrappy Batiks and laid them out on the design wall last week at social sewing. I think this is the final layout we ended up with. Edna reminded us to turn some of the blocks to feature the diagonal chains. She's now working on sewing the blocks together.


In other quilty news, PCQ's Community Service committee has been holding a regular sew day each month as usual. We no longer have a separate designated prep day so we have to do our kit prep on sew days or on our own. Since my role on the committee is Design Lead, I've been more involved in prepping kits than in sewing lately, and I see that continuing for awhile. 

The March/April sew day project was Stacked Slabs* and I had a particular kit that I wanted to sew, but I missed the March sew day and worked on kitting for May at the April sew day, so I'll sew my Stacked Slabs kit on my own. It'll be a good project to take to social sewing on Wednesdays. Here it is laid out on my design wall: 

Most of the fabrics are from the bins in the fiber arts room, all donated. I pulled everything tropical and watery I could find from the Novelty bins, and supplemented with turquoise and blue shades. Lots of mermaids, palm trees, waves, surfboards, and dolphins here. I even added some leftovers from my sea turtle quilt, too. Looking at the photo, I don't like the two green slabs, so I'll raid my own Aqua/Turquoise/Teal basket for a turquoise to sub in. 


Linking up with Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

*Stacked Slabs is one of the patterns I created to be easy to kit up and easy to sew for PCQ's sew days.  The version shown is twin bed size 70" x 88"  but the pattern also offers a 60" x 80" large throw and 50" x 64" small throw. If you would like a PDF of the pattern for any charitable purpose, leave a comment and be sure to type your email address in the text of the comment.

8 comments:

  1. I thought I would like the warm version better than the cool version but it turns out, I like the cool one better. It's been fun seeing the Scrappy Celebration quilt in so many color ways :) I really like your stacked slabs quilt....and definitely agree with replacing the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all made quick work of the warm blocks. Your stacked slabs quilt is going to be fun, I agree, the green stands out. Hopefully you can find something else that blends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this warm, scrappy quilt in those colors....great work and the diagonals are wonderful at moving your eyes around this beaty--nice work! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. The warm version game together so well! It reminds me of a roaring campfire. And I know exactly which two green slabs you'll be switching out. I really like the bright to dark layout you created for the slab quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon. Your Stacked Slabs pattern is great, just what I need for a new and different pattern. I make and donate quilts to Firehouse Quilts, in Colorado. If you would send me your Stacked Slabs pattern, I would appreciate it. Thank you! Barb Hayden, rickhayden@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love the Stacked Slabs pdf for a medical mission group I make quilts for. Your color way is really nice. grannaishere(at)iCloud.com - I am commenting as anonymous as my google account is not operable now--and I cannot fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful eye candy. Stacked slabs is a real winner especially if you have a large stash and/or scraps. Add me to the list of folks who would like the pattern. brsinstitches @gmail.com And many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you emphasized the diagonals in the hot version! And what a great charity quilt!!! I'd love a copy of the pattern for charity purposes! graceandpeacequilting at gmail dot com Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete