Monday, April 1, 2024

Test Blocks

The "hive" (bee) I'm in is almost finished making blocks for the Warm Batik colorway of Scrappy Celebration, and Edna has a plan for our next project. I've been thinking about what we could do for a future project. 

Scrappy Celebration has no triangles in it. What if we add triangles to alternate blocks in such a way that they make stars? Here's an EQ plan, colored in the same palette we used for the first Scrappy Celebration. 


Hmm, the blocks are big in proportion to the corner triangles so the triangles don't really make stars. But combined with the dark pink churn dash blocks they kind of make a chain effect. Here it is in greyscale:


Interesting, but when a group of people are separately making blocks, can we control the value placement well enough to achieve this effect? 

I've always wanted to make a black and tan quilt. Many years ago I started collecting fabrics for it. Could this concept work in that palette? If I make it myself I rather than as a hive project, I can control the fabric choices and therefore the value placement to achieve the chain effect. 


Maybe? 

I pulled fabrics from my stash. I was surprised at how little of the collected black and tan prints I had left after using them for other projects for so many years. The black and camel leaf print batik is the palette inspiration, and I've had that fabric for about 20 years. 


I made some test blocks but I'm still not sure where this is going, so I'll make a few more.

I definitely don't love that orange. In real life it's a brick red background print with gold, the same brick red as in the print above, but the colors combine to look orange and I don't care for it. My neutral is very beige here, I want more of a camel tan to be featured, so I'll have to make some more test blocks. I'll use camel and tan where I want the darker chain and beige where I need lighter values. 

This may or may not become something more than a pile of test blocks, we'll see. I really don't need a project like this, I need to salvage Road Trip, but I can see myself using this as a procrastination project in order to avoid dealing with Road trip. I will not take this to retreat, I'll take Road Trip blocks that need to be deconstructed and spend time unsewing them there. 


Link up: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

3 comments:

  1. I saw stars immediately in the first layout, not so much in grayscale. i see the chain effect mostly in your brown and camel version and you would have to be careful with the values to keep it visible. I agree, I don't think it would work as well as a group project because you don't have any control over their fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely see the stars around the edges, they are harder to see in the middle. It's an interesting layout. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering the same thing you mentioned about getting the stars to work with a group project. I suppose if the triangles weren't sewn to blocks until a layout was chosen and then auditioned for the star points? I was thinking about Road Trip when you mentioned the black and tan fabrics you have been saving. I hope you are able to get Road Trip to a point that you are happy.

    ReplyDelete