Friday, August 28, 2026

A Scrappy Triangle Project

I saw something recently in my Pinterest feed that intrigued me. It was a very scrappy quilt made of HSTs, Broken Dishes blocks, and stacked coin columns, in a palette of mostly yellow-greens, teals, dark reds, neutrals and light peach prints. Very busy. Dozens of different fabrics, many bold patterns. It was attributed to Mel Hale but now I can't find it again.  

Updated 8/29: The inspiration photo popped up in my Pinterest feed again; see it here. 

I pulled scraps in those colors, then raided my stash, and cut pieces for HSTs. I figured I could work on them at social sewing when PC's creative arts building reopens in September. But as often happens, I got sucked into this project and started sewing right away. Over the last couple of weeks, I've made 170 HSTs. 

They don't look like much here, but that's 17 batches of 10. As I was cutting for them, I also cut for the stacked coins, and some of the coin pieces were used as leaders and enders as I was sewing the triangles. The ones in the center are sewn pairs; the rest are cut pieces. I have no idea how many there are here, but I need 360 individual pieces so I'm sure I'll be cutting more. 

Making all those HSTs required a lot of trimming. This guy kept me company and kept growing while I was at it. 

This will turn out to be either a busy-but-curated scrappy quilt, or a hot mess that'll be hard to look at. We'll see.  

I have other priorities and deadlines so this project will be packed away until later. It's definitely in Alycia's "Or Not" category at Finished (or not) Friday


7 comments:

  1. I love your trimmings monster 😄.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's definitely a sharp blades' worth of trimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol Anne CampbellAugust 28, 2026 at 4:03 PM

    I am curious about the Mel Hale quilt you describe. I googled that name plus scrappy quilt and a Pinterest page came up and there are lots of quilt folders. In the one titled Quilts I Have Made there is one that looks very much like what you describe. It may not be the one you are referring to but I like it! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found it! https://in.pinterest.com/barbedwire1876/quilts-i-have-made/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I found the posts referred to in Carol Anne's and Peggy's comments. There is a similar quilt there in more of a red-white-blue-neutral palette but instead of stacked coins the columns feature vertical strips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a good start on another scrappy project. Looking forward to see this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for including the link for the quilt you referenced/were inspired by. I. Love. It. I'm also inspired by it ... may not happen but then again it may.

    ReplyDelete