Friday, October 20, 2017

Gary's Flannel Quilt

A Cozy Finish...

My husband's birthday is coming up and this is a secret, so don't tell, OK? 😉

He whines that plain cotton fabric feels cold. He says his cotton quilt feels cold, even though it's been washed a dozen times and it's all soft and snuggly. He likes flannel. He wears flannel shirts. He'd have flannel sheets on the bed year round if I'd let him. He insisted I use flannel for the backing of our grandson's baby quilt.

He also whines that our grandson has more quilts than he has. He requested a flannel quilt with flannel on the back and wool batting.  Okay... That would be warm, at least.

He's getting a flannel quilt for his birthday.

I've been saving worn out and frayed shirts for awhile, and many of the plaids used in this quilt are shirts that he got lots of use out of. The light background and some of the darks are store-bought flannels that I bought in Paducah last spring.

My friend Dar who blogs over at Dar's Patchwork Garden quilted it for me in a Baptist Fan pattern. I was afraid the ravelly fabrics would fray at the seams, but the quilting is dense enough to hold the seams, I think. I really like the texture the quilting and the wool batting give it.

A few more pictures, just because -

Don't you just want to touch it?!

And of course the back is flannel, too, with more repurposed shirt parts. 


That light red plaid -  That was a favorite LLBean shirt that he wore for over 25 years. We have a photo of him and our son taken in 1989 when DS was six, and DH is wearing that shirt. It was a sad day when that shirt had to be retired, but it was well loved. 


This quilt is pretty heavy. The fabrics are heavy, and there are a lot of seams in the piecing. The wool batting doesn't add any more weight than a cotton batting would, but it's drapier. It was breezy when I was taking photos, and as heavy as this quilt is, it still got blown around a bit. So I think it'll be soft and snuggly enough. Not to mention, warm...

Think he'll like it? His birthday is in mid November. I'll let you know what he thinks after I give it to him. 


Link ups: Confessions of a Fabric Addict
                My Quilt Infatuation

15 comments:

  1. I am sure he's going to be thrilled (and very warm) with this quilt! :) Congratulations on having it ready almost a full month early, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky guy! It's beautiful, and I love that you used his old shirts to make it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the ball out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a terrific quilt! I really like it and I think he’ll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome quilt! He is going to love all the cuddly snuggliness of that flannel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is lovely. Fabrics are just gorgeous and full of memories as well as warmth and a great pattern. The Baptist fan pattern is a goody, lot of work but so worth it - lucky you had someone do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect and thoughtful birthday gift for your spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors! Sounds like you hit all the notes for his special request quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How warm and fuzzy and cozy and wonderful! I'm sure he'll love it. But won't he see it on your blog before his birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful gift for your hubby! I love that it has fabric from his own shirts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful and masculine quilt. I’m sure he’s going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful texture quilting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a gorgeous quilt! I love the Baptist fan quilting on it, and yes, I DO want to touch it!! I am sure your DH will love it! I have made 3 quilts using men's work shirts, and loved the feel of them. They are extra special when the recipient "knows" the shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks wonderful! My husband is cold all the time, but he won't allow me to have flannel sheets on the bed all the time!! I would live in flannel if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty sure he's going to love this. It looks very warm and cozy...just perfect for the fall and winter months. I love that you used flannel shirts along with the fabric.

    ReplyDelete