Monday, June 6, 2016

A Finish? Or Change the Quilting?

You might remember last week I was debating how to quilt Dancing Plus. I had marked it for one idea, but more experienced quilters cautioned me to attempt only what I could handle on my domestic machine given that this is the biggest quilt I've quilted myself so far. Here's how it looked last week, basted and marked for the first idea.

I took their advice and changed my plan. I decided to quilt curvy lines between the plusses. Yuck, big mistake. It resulted in roundish blobs around each plus, and left large areas unquilted. So I spent some time with my seam ripper and took out all the vertical curvy lines. I left the diagonal ones in for the time being to stabilize the layers, and stitched vertical organic wavy lines.

OK, much better. I went ahead and bound the quilt. Here it is in its current state:

The curvy diagonal lines are still there. The organic wavy lines are there, spaced about 1-1/2 to 2" apart, although they don't show up as much in this photo.

The question is, do I rip out the diagonals and add more organic wavy vertical quilting, or do I leave it as is?

This will be a sofa quilt for an active family with three kids. I want it to be soft, but it will need additional quilting lines over the vertical seams if I take out the crosswise quilting.

What do you think? Please leave a comment.

Linking up with Patchwork Times and Sew Fresh Quilts

12 comments:

  1. As long as the batting is stabilized enough, I think that the quilt looks great. You know I like a lot of quilting on my quilts (LOL), but this is definitely going to give the quilt a soft drape which will be very snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the diagonals! The secondary pattern that shows up is really neat! I vote to keep them...I'd vote twice if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote to keep the diagonal lines, too. They actually show up more in your photo and make a great design. I think you are done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it, and I think it will have a nice soft drape. and once it is washed, I think will look even better (I like that squishy look quilts get after washing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this looks good as is. I wouldn't do a thing to it. It will be perfect for its new family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the look of the quilting and as Tish says I wouldn't do a thing to it. It's going to be super soft and snuggly - the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dancing plus'!! It looks beautiful with the quilting and I wouldn't worry about the lines...leave them! Bright, fun and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd keep it as it is, it looks great. No one would know that it wasn't what you'd planned from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks really I neat.

    ReplyDelete