Monday, August 27, 2018

Testing, Testing...

I bought this specialty ruler for adding corner triangles to blocks when I was in Paducah in April. I thought I could use it to snowball the corners of my Dresden blocks, but I found the instructions confusing. I was afraid to mess up that project so I just made them the usual way. Here's the special ruler:

Since then I made something else with snowballed corners, and I sort of figured out the ruler, but it involved making oversized triangles and trimming the block afterward. OK, faster than the original method. But could there be a way to use this ruler in combination with die-cut triangles so no trimming is needed?

I'm making 6" finished (6-1/2" unfinished) blocks with 3" triangles on opposite sides. For 2 test blocks, I cut 2 background squares and die cut 4 triangles.

The corners of the background square will have to be trimmed before the triangles can be added. I figured out where to align the ruler.

Just double checking before cutting, to make sure the triangles can be sewn in the right place.

OK, looks like if I cut there it'll work. I cut opposite corners off the background square. Looks like my triangles will line up just fine.

Sewing them with a 1/4" seam:

Looking good! After the triangles were pressed outward, the blocks measured exactly the right size without any trimming.

And the points came out nicely when the blocks were joined with a slightly scant 1/4" seam.

A successful test. I learned that I can save the time and trouble of cutting squares, marking the diagonal, and trimming away the bonus triangles when making snowball corners.  If I make something with dozens of blocks, this would be a huge time saver.


Linking up with
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Em's Scrapbag
Love Laugh Quilt

10 comments:

  1. Oh Cool!! I have that ruler too but wasn't sure where to start!! Thanks for the tute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a few test blocks can really save frustration when you are in a big project. I'm glad you found a way to make the ruler work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently purchased the Folded Corner Clipper ruler, which is smaller than this ruler (which I was also considering) but serves a similar purpose. To me it seems a bit more intuitive to use but it's limited to 5" or smaller corners. I'm using it for the #100days100blocks2018 SAL so don't need anything larger but have kept the Doug Leko ruler in the back of my mind for a future purchase. I appreciate seeing you put it to use as I wondered exactly how it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing us how you use it! I bought one but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Bonnie Hunter raves about this one. You could also do a search on her blog (quiltville.blogspot.com) to see how she uses it. She has found several ways to use it. I think she’s done more than one quilt cam using it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug made a tutorial on YouTube with his ruler on the Fat Quarter channel. That might give you even more clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to persevere learning a new tool.Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cool ruler. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Successful experiments are always great fun.

    ReplyDelete