Wednesday, August 22, 2018

WIGSP

Work in Glacially Slow Progress

I've been doing a lot (for me) of hand stitching lately, on a project that's been in work since before Feb. 2008. This is a project that my Piecing Group friends have helped me with, but now it's in too few sections to hand out any more so I need to finish it.

Last week my guild had a UFO-themed social meeting. I knew some of the girls from Piecing Group would be there, so I wanted to show them how much progress I've made.

I need good light for hand piecing. I have a nice bright light on a flexible stand that I can move over my sewing table, which gives me good light for stitching.

Here's what the project looked like on the design wall back in 2015 so you can get an idea of it. Since this photo was taken, the rows have been sewn together in pairs, black pieces have been added to the ends to create side borders, and black rows have been stitched for the top and bottom borders. It will be queen size when finished.

As of last week, the bottom third is together, and the top four rows are together. Our meeting motivated me to keep pushing on this.  As long as my hands aren't too painful, I'll keep on stitching a little each day. I can only hand stitch for about 20 minutes; that's about one thread length, about 1/5 of the way across a row. When my hands flare up I'll take a break, but at least I can make some progress in the meantime. I will persist!



Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts

5 comments:

  1. I use Blue Emu Oil to take away the pain.....works really well.
    Your quilt will be beautiful when done.... it's nearly there.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow and steady wins the race! It's going to be beautiful. I love the light that comes into the piece with the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making great progress! It's amazing how even just a few minutes or one thread a day can move a project along. I bet your friends enjoyed getting to see it coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hands sound like your hands. We use Blue Stop (Sam's, Amazon) for aches. But I still try to stay under 30 minutes at a time. Beautiful project -- hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful project. Congrats on the steady progress.

    ReplyDelete