Friday, February 21, 2020

Color Spoke Challenge: a Finished Top


My obsession with this project continued. I couldn't put it down until I got it finished.

It measures about 65" by 75" and it turned out surprisingly flat and square. I stay-stitched across the top and bottom to prevent the seams in the stripes from pulling open.

Some of the blocks were individual monthly assignments from STLMQG for skill building. Some of the blocks were added by me to fill out the layout. I used all but one of the assigned blocks in the final top; one was just too dark, heavy, and dull to play nicely with all the others.

I added a few extra blocks of my own choosing, including a Cut and Shuffle block, and a Scrappy Trips block.  Since the purpose of the challenge was to learn and use new skills, I added an 8-point Lemoyne star made with Y-seams.

Now that this top is done, I can get back to working on other things that have been neglected while I've been so obsessed with this project.




Linking up with
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia Quilts
Wendy's Quilts and More

13 comments:

  1. Love they way it turned out. The colors go perfect with the black and white stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, I wasn't sure about it all the first time you posted but it kept getting better every day.....perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Makes me want to get back to work on GW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - I KNEW you could make it work spectacularly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty layout! I love the effect with the B&W stripes, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your top! Very GW-like and encourages me to work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting all of those stripes to line up (but more importantly, kudos on a freshly finished quilt top!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just gorgeous! The colors...along with that stripe are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful!! I love how the vertical stripes line up so well and carry themselves through and around the blocks. The balance is really great. That was one persistent squirrel :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’ve done an amazing job of laying out the blocks. The stripes are unbelievable. It appears that the background is just a single striped fabric. Just WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done; you puzzled it together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so glad you were obsessed!! that is a great quilt and a really unique one!! I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete