Monday, March 2, 2020

February Stash Report and Goals Update

Ever had one of those projects that's so compelling, it just takes over everything else you're working on? One project completely consumed me this month. I thought I would just start playing with the Color Spoke blocks while quilting on a couple of other projects, but that's not how it turned out.
Color Spoke top

The Color Spoke project called to me and I couldn't resist puzzling the pieces together, rearranging them, adding striped sashing and filler strips, and revising and moving parts around until I had a completed top.

My stash report looks better than anticipated not only due to the yardage used in the Color Spoke flimsy, but especially because I destashed a lot at my guild's Fabric Swap.

February Stash Report:
IN this month: 3 yards (One yard Kona white. One yard from STLMQG. One yard from CSQ fabric swap.)
OUT this month: 31-7/8 yards (23-1/2 yards out to CSQ fabric swap. 1-3/4 yards backing and 1/2 yard binding  for purple CCD. Estimated 6-1/8 yards (by weight) for Color Spoke top.)

IN YTD: 16 yards
OUT YTD: 46-7/8 yards
YTD Net Change: 30-7/8 yards out

I haven't counted the leftover parts and scraps from the Color Spoke top. I'll offer them at the next meeting of STLMQG and count them out then. Also not counted: a bit of stash replenishment. After all, if my order hasn't come in yet, the fabric isn't in my stash yet, right?  I'll count what's on order after it comes in.
Unused blocks, filler pieces and parts for Color Spoke project

February Goals Recap:
1. Sew remaining row of WIGSP together and to top; add final top border if possible, DONE!!! After 12 years in the making, it's now a completed top. Sneak peek below; more photos to come this week. 
2. Start figuring out how to put together the Color Spoke BOM blocks from last year. DONE! Top completely puzzled together into a finished flimsy.
3. Layer, baste, and quilt the purple chunky churn dash. DONE on 2/29 - thank goodness for that extra day this month! Photos to come asap. 
4. Layer, baste, and start quilting Have Faith. Not touched. I might have been a little distracted by and focused on another project. 
5. Keep up with bee blocks. DONE
Other: continued to sew fans to background to make blocks for the Fan Medallion project. 
WIGSP

March Goals:
1. Thoroughly clean up the sewing room.
2. Get Checkerboards and Dresden Plates appraised; ship it to AQS.
3. Gather up small quilts for donation to Operation Shower.
4. Finish making blocks for Fan Medallion.
5. Layer, baste, and quilt Have Faith.
6. Start something new.
7. Keep up with bee blocks.

Yes, I'm giving myself permission to start something new even though I still have UFOs and WIPS. Have Faith is both a WIP and a UFO and I plan to tackle it this month, so that can count toward working down the UFO list. If time permits, maybe I'll also work on something else on the list.

I've included bee blocks on the goals list for probably the last time.  For Piecing Group the March meeting will be the last time I attend; I've been a member since 2000. I won't be able to attend the April or May meetings and we hope to be getting ready to move in June, so last month when I hosted Piecing Group here, I told the girls I'm resigning from the group. I will miss it.
The March meeting may also be the last time I'll be able to attend STLMQG and the Sew Bee It bee, mostly due to the guild's schedule. I'll miss that, too.


Link ups:
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Love Laugh Quilt

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful job on working down your list for February!! Best of luck on the March list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your amazing quilt. That shade of green is not one that I would have chosen, but you have changed my mind. The black and white stripes really sets the blocks, and you have done an excellent job using it. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can is, "Wow!" Oh, well, I'll say one more thing --- That is one gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete