Wednesday, May 27, 2020

UFO Progress: Basket Weave

One of the items on my Goals list for May is to revisit UFOs and see what I can move forward. I have a small UFO finish, which I'll post about on Friday.

I also pulled this project to work on. It's bee blocks, made for me by the Sew Bee Its the last time it was my turn to hand out. I don't even remember when that was. The blocks are made of strips, and when assembled they'll create a basket weave pattern. Apparently I got into strips even before my current obsession.

I gave each member the constant fabrics, olive and newsprint for the outside edges and Kaffe Fassett's Baba Ganouch print in the center. I asked them to add strips using the colors in the Kaffe print to drive the palette. These girls are really good at pulling colors that create a cohesive palette when I give them an inspiration print. They stretch the boundaries and the result is much more interesting than what I would have pulled myself, but since the colors all derive from the inspiration print, they all work together.

I knew I was short a couple of blocks. I miscalculated; I got 22 blocks back from the other 11 girls in the bee, and I made six but I should have made 8, so I was 2 short of the 30 needed.  

Two more blocks made, now I have enough for the center. The blocks finish at 9", using strips cut 1-1/2" wide.  

The next step will be laying them out on my design wall with the stripes alternating vertical and horizontal to create the basket weave effect, which you can see above in the instruction page I handed out with the kits. 

6 comments:

  1. UFOs can lure you in before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great earthy, autumn type of quilt, Jan. One of my favorite kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Rail Fence blocks from my first days of quilting, but the multiple stripes block is just so much richer. Lovely fabrics here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice block design. I like how the placement of the light strips, which really adds to the entire quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great way to do a bee block, using a Kaffe print as color focus. I'm looking forward to seeing this one move along toward completion :)

    ReplyDelete