Sunday, June 13, 2021

A New Project

One of my goals for this month is to prep projects to work on at retreat in July. Lately I've been wanting a challenging project, something more complicated than the donation quilts I've been making. 

Remember the Snake Quilt QOV some friends and I made, a few years ago? 


I was reminded of it recently when a new friend asked me about Loop in Motion. Loop in Motion was from my pre-blogging days. It's hand pieced - no applique - and the blocks were made by my CSQ Piecing Group friends in 2006. 


I'm thinking of a new project that will have blocks like the snake quilt but a meandering layout like Loop in Motion. 

So, this project will require templates and paper piecing foundations. 


Before I get too carried away, I want to make one test block to make sure I'll like where I'm going with this. I'll need two arcs, two corner wedges, and a middle background piece. 

I mentioned recently that I cut way too many strips for the Coral Strippy HST quilt. I can use the strips for the paper pieced arc segments in the snake blocks. 


Which means tracing the templates and carefully cutting the curves with scissors. 


Having learned with the Snake Quilt QOV that a little extra room is needed to square up the blocks, I've added an extra 1/8" on all the outside edges of the block. Here's my test block, untrimmed. A little mis-shapen, and the edges aren't quite straight. 


And all squared up, much better. 


With this project, I'm using one background fabric throughout, and as many orange - coral - pink prints as I can. I have plenty. 

One block down, 47 to go. I'm in no hurry. I can take this project to retreat and make a few blocks there, and take some other projects to work on to have a break from these blocks. 

Notice I didn't post an EQ design of what this Coral Snake quilt will look like? You'll just have to wait and see. It's really cool. 


Link ups: Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt


PS  - Cherie, do you ever foresee another Snake Quilt in your future? Want to play along? 

8 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking up this challenge to yourself - have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you tease! Can’t wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I hear you on making mostly easier quilts rather than tackling really difficult blocks. I'm not sure when I'll try something more difficult again. I don't mind "popping" out easier quilts since almost anything I make now I give to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s going to be a beauty!!! My first quilting class was hand piecing. I made a couple hand pieced tops because it was easy to take them along and work on them. I took another class and made a double wedding ring, king size for my sister. Never again! I look forward to seeing your progress! Love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if you don't challenge yourself enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Yes, I do see one in my future and would love to play along. I'm not moved into my sewing room yet so I have no idea where the template are....maybe some box digging is in order!!

    ReplyDelete