Monday, October 23, 2023

A Baby Quilt in Teal

 I just found out that my niece's baby boy is due in less than three weeks. Yikes, I thought I had more time! The baby's room is decorated in teal and white, so I pulled everything in my stash that might work with teal. Lots of aqua and turquoise, a couple of teal prints, a pretty print with turquoise, yellow, and soft green in it, and a few accent colors. 

In order to make this quickly, I'm doing a layout of half-hexies. It will be simple to sew together; the fabrics will do all the work.


Above is the first layout, just slapping the blocks up on the wall. Obviously it needs some tweaking to assort the colors and values better. 

Swap fabrics, take photo, study photo, decide something else needs to be changed, repeat. Every time I move something, something else looks wrong. It took nine attempts to get to the layout below, the layout I ended up with. Enough tweaking, it's as good as it's going to get. 


Here's a close up of the fabrics:


The final size will be about 39 x 45", small enough to fit on one WOF for the back. I have enough of the swirl print (thanks, Cherie!) for the back, and plenty of turquoise options for binding. 

I'll kit it up, take it to retreat next week, and get the top pieced. Hopefully I can get it finished around the time the baby is born.


Linking up with Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

4 comments:

  1. Half-hexie - SMART! PS: the baby will never notice ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when a baby quilt can use a single WOF for the backing. Great colors and I think you found a good layout. Have fun at the retreat and good luck getting this done about the time the baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Love the colors and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my favorite colors! This design is great for a quick baby quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete