Monday, October 30, 2023

Stay-at-Home Round Robin

 Finally finished, a UFO I can cross off my list. This was started as a stay-at-home round robin in 2020. It was built around an orphan block that didn't come out as I had hoped, but it certainly works as the center here. 

When we found out we were moving to AZ, work on the top was put on hold. It was pieced to the second striped border and the red triangle strips were assembled but not attached. I pulled the UFO out and finished the top at retreat last spring. 

Also last spring, I pieced a back for it, inspired by Kelly Young's book Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs, which was featured in her book launch blog hop.

It wasn't quilted in time for the blog hop; other things came up. Recently I got it layered and basted, and found time to quilt it. It's been ages since I quilted something on my Bernina. It finally cooled off enough here that I felt like wrangling a quilt as one does with domestic machine quilting. This is all stitch-in-the-ditch, nothing fancy.

I'm still struggling to get good photos. Too much wind, always. And either full sun or deep shade. The dappled shade under my palo verde trees is about the best I can manage today. Other than the difficulty with photos, I have no complaints about the sun and the beautiful weather here now that the heat has finally broken. 

This quilt finished about 53" square and it will go to the local family services agency. It was fun to make but I don't need it, so it can go to a teen or tween who needs a quilty hug.


Link ups this week: 
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts 10/30
My Quilt Infatuation 11/2
Alycia Quilts  11/3
Confessions of a Fabric Addict  11/3
Wendy's Quilts and More  11/3



5 comments:

  1. Congrats on a bright and fun finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great finish - it is a cross country quilt haha!! I love how you framed that block and added in more of the fabrics to make it shine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the finish. I love how coordinated and centered the backing is for the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I did a couple of round-robin type projects during the Pandemic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt! Your colors are bright and I like all your different borders. I should finish my stay at home round robin quilts, too. I really do like the bright colors contrasted with the black and white. Enjoy the warm temperatures. We expect snow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete