Monday, October 9, 2023

Road Trip Blocks

I've been making blocks for Road Trip off and on all summer as I've had time. There are quite a few now so I put them up on the wall to start arranging them and see what else I need. 


As is, there's areas that need a little breathing room, and of course some gaps to fill. 

I finally found more of the khaki grid fabric I've been searching for, and I bought the last yard of it from an Etsy seller. I hope it's the right thing when I get it. 

                                          

I'll use it for filler in the gaps between blocks, or if that doesn't look right, for HSTs to fill in those gaps. I like that it reads a little darker than the cream net print used in many of the blocks after I realized I was running out of the khaki grid. 


If I keep the current layout, I need four more 9" blocks, two more 12" blocks, and a few 6" Broken Dishes blocks for filler. The Broken Dishes blocks will probably include the khaki grid fabric. 

There are a few blocks I don't like so after I get the new ones made, I'll re-evaluate them and maybe replace them. And continue to move stuff around. 

As is, this layout would finish at 84" square. I have a 78" quilt hanging in my foyer and I'd like to replace it with this one, which has to be at least the same size because of the nail holes in the wall for the hanging rod. 

I welcome any comments you might have about the layout. What do I need to change so it doesn't look like just a bunch of blocks? 


Linking up with Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts  and Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts

4 comments:

  1. Good sleuthing to find the khaki grid print. I hope it's exactly what you need and arrives quickly. Some blocks have only the khaki grunge like fabric as their background. I would personally play around with having them in the center moving out to lighter background blocks at the edges; it's just an idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are really growing!! what fun to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grid fabric will really help give the eye some place to rest. Love the way the colors flow with the layout you've got now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought on the layout would be to see if you can create diagonals with the reds and/or turquoises to provide an underlying "organizational" element. Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete