Monday, May 27, 2024

Road Trip Progress

 You may remember, I had all my Road Trip blocks on my design wall, but I was not happy with the look of the project. Here's what it looked like: 


In this layout, the blocks get lighter towards the outside edges. One of the fabrics is actually a cream background print, almost white. What bothered me was how the blocks seem to scatter or fade away at the edges. 

So I took them all down, took apart all the ones with the offending white fabric, remade some and made some all new blocks. I was fortunate to be able to get another yard of the license plate print, and I found some more of the khaki Grunge. In the new layout, the blocks with the lightest beige print are toward the center and the darkest blocks are around the edge. 

Here's what the wall looks like today. I need to make two more blocks for the upper right corner, and fill in with khaki grunge where the white squares (blank design wall) are. I still need to work on filling in the odd spaces. 

The bottom row reads dark in the photo, but that has more to do with the lighting than the blocks. I'm much happier with the new layout, even though it was a lot of work with the seam ripper to get to this stage. 

Soon - just two more blocks plus fillers - I'll be able to start puzzling this monster together. It'll require quite a few partial seams, and a bit of wrangling under the needle. This quilt will be over 90" square when finished. 

If my husband likes it well enough, we'll hang it in our foyer. If not, I'll drape it over the sofa in our den. Either way, I'm keeping this one for me. 


Linking up with Design Wall Monday at  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts




3 comments:

  1. The changes you made were well worth it - the quilt top feels much more cohesive. Sounds like you will be having fun putting it together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, such an endeavor. But it will be worth it when done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely done a lot of rework and that's paid off in a more even color distribution. Enjoy the final assembly, it always feels good to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete