Wednesday, July 31, 2024

July Stash Report and Goals Update

A lot happened this month, but not a lot of blogging. Pardon the indoor photos in this post - it's just too blasted hot (107 degrees) and sunny to take photos outside here now. 

Retreat was a lot of fun, and I got one top completely pieced, started blocks for another, and sewed squares together for a third. The finished top was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, attributed only to "Kathy," which showed an interesting way to use stripes. I used a bold black and white referee stripe with bright colors for my version: 



This was so much fun and I like it so much that I hurried to cobble together a backing for it and booked time on PCQ's long arm to quilt it. It will eventually go to the local family services agency (I think a teen will like it) but I'll hold onto it to put it in the club's quilt show next winter, then donate it. 

Also this month I finished the Friendship Star top that was laid out on my design wall. This is a twin bed size donation quilt and I've ordered backing for it. I like it too much to put ugly backing on it! 

Last but not least, Road Trip is now a finished Flimsy. I switched out the two blocks that had been sewn in the wrong places, and swapped in a blue block for a green one in an area that needed more blue. It's been about 15 or 16 months in the making, with a few hiccups along the way, but now it's finished. I have fabric for the backing, and batting for it, so maybe I can get it quilted soon. The top measures 87 x 90", and if my husband likes it enough, it can hang in our foyer. 




(Note to self: for the stash report, I counted the fabrics visible in the finished top, even the parts and pieces in the rejected blocks not used, so I won't count them again if/when I do something with them. I did not count the fabrics that didn't make it into the final top, even though there are a lot of pieces, parts, and rejected blocks in those fabrics too. I'll count then when I use them.)

With these finishes, I get to count out a lot on my stash report this month. BUT - I won 27 fat quarters at game night at retreat, not to mention my purchases this month, so quite a bit of yardage was added, too. 

July Stash Report:

IN this month: 19-1/2 yards (5-3/4 yards pre-retreat shopping. 7 yards from Sheila's shop at retreat. 27 FQs won at retreat game.)
OUT this month: 28-5/8 yards (5/8 yard Charley Harper prints sent to Wanda. 1/4 yard used in SC blocks for Shiela. 3 FQs for game. 4 yards of my own fabrics for Friendship Stars top. Referee Stripe - Top, 5-1/5 yards. Back, 5 yards. Road Trip top: 12-1/2 yards (includes leftover parts & unused blocks in these fabrics))

IN YTD: 42-3/4 yards
OUT YTD: 48-3/4 yards

YTD Net Change: 6 yards out

A big month, because several projects just happened to get to finished flimsy stage so I could count them this month. 

With these finishes, I met some of my goals.

July Goals Recap: 

1. Prep projects for retreat. DONE

2. Bind the May-June community service quilt, Woven Bricks pattern with daisy print. DONE and donated. 

3. Make two Scrappy Celebration blocks in autumn colors for retreat hostess Shiela. DONE

4. Revise Road Trip top. DONE

5. Finish the Kaffe Gradient flimsy. Not done.

Other: 
    Worked on Black & Tan blocks.  
    Worked on Friendship Star blocks and assembled the top. Ordered backing for it. 
    Made blocks and assembled Referee Stripe top at retreat. 
    Started blocks for B+W Slanted Stars at retreat. 

I think all that I did get done makes up for not getting the Kaffe Gradient top done....

August Goals: 

1. Quilt the Referee Stripe top on Aug 2, and bind it in time for next PCQ meeting.

2. Prep for and teach Lessons 1 and 2 of my six lesson Color Class to PCQuilters. 

3. Make more blocks for B+W Slanted Stars; determine layout. Assemble top, add borders. 

4. Finish the Kaffe Gradient flimsy.

5. Make more blocks for the black and tan project.

6. If possible, quilt either Friendship Stars or Road Trip (depends on getting time booked on the long arm).



Link ups: My Quilt Infatuation 8/1,  Alycia Quilts 8/2,  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts 8/5



4 comments:

  1. I really like the B/W/bright one! And your execution is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bold black and white strips look great with those colored blocks. A very cool finish. Congrats on all the progress in July, hopefully August is as productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Pinterest Kathy quilt is AWESOME!!! That black and white is incredible!!! And stay inside!! 107 is about 30 degrees too hot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the projects you've highlighted here - especially the "B&W and brights" quilt! What a fun finish!

    ReplyDelete