Friday, August 13, 2021

FMQ Practice: Leaves

Remember the pillows I'm making for my patio chaises? Here's the first panel, which I walking foot quilted while I was at retreat. 


These pillows were actually supposed to be for FMQ practice; that's how they came about. My neighbor who is a master quilter is pushing me to expand my FMQ skills, starting with adding motifs to a basic meander. So here's panel #2 with free motion leafy meander quilting. 


Not bad. It's certainly full of bobbles and wobbles, but overall, acceptable for its purpose. 


Here's the back side of this panel; the quilting shows up better with the contrasting thread here. 


What I learned: It's hard to figure out where to go with the meander while also thinking about the leaf motifs. The spacing is uneven and there are gaps between the quilting, so it will take some practice to learn how to travel around the quilt and fill in where needed. Sometimes I had to backtrack down the center of the leaf to get out of a tight spot, but with care, I was able to backtrack smoothly a couple of times. 


Two panels done, two to go. Hopefully I can get both pillow covers quilted and sewn up by the time the cooler weather gets here in the fall and we can enjoy lounging on our patio. 


Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Alycia Quilts

7 comments:

  1. I think your quilting turned out lovely--I cannot do free motion work at all...perfect choice of pattern for these pieces...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the experts quilting isn't perfect so all looks fine. I am like you, just expanding my machine quilting skills. It just takes practise. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Jan! You have fantastic skills and learn so easily. I hope you continue this journey into the Free Motion world. I believe you will enjoy the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your leaf additions look fine. Your panel is busy enough that any bobbles won't be noticeable when the pillow covers are completed and sitting on the chairs. Yes, it takes practice, but one day you'll suddenly realize the movements become second nature and the quilting smoother. You're lucky to have a neighbor to be a mentor.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty motif! I can see how it would be hard to think about the leaf and the overall direction at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these leaves! They can build on the curves I've been practicing.

    ReplyDelete