Monday, August 30, 2021

Piecing and Quilting the Striped KK

Recently I posted that I was intrigued by the Kool Kaleidoscope* concept and tried it out using striped fabric. Here are the parts cut out and laid out on my design wall. 


Since then I've gotten it assembled according to the instructions from the video. Ricky recommends pressing the wedge seams open for less bulk. Even so, I found it difficult to get them to come together precisely. And spinning the seams to reduce bulk doesn't work very well with open seams. 


I'm very disappointed in how my center turned out. I kind of have a reputation as a precise piecer and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Even following the instructions carefully and using the seam ripper a few times, this is the best I can get it. This looks bad to me. 


No wonder he recommends using a print that will camouflage the center! 

I found a fix for the problem. I appliqued a small hexie over the center and cut away the bulk from behind the applique. It looks intentional and it's much flatter. 


Here's the finished top on my wall (sorry for the slightly skewed photo): 


For quilting, I'm going with a combination of walking foot and FMQ. Since the seams are pressed open there's no actual ditch to stitch in; if I stitch in the groove there, I might break the piecing threads and the seam could come apart. So I need to stitch next to the ditch. I followed the wedge seams, the piecing seams within the wedges, and selected stripes in the fabric. I want the quilting to be soft, not dense and rigid, since this is intended as a baby quilt. 


In the curvy print areas I used a medium meander and in the background I used a small meander. 


Here's a section of the back: 


Hopefully I can get this bound soon and then it will be a finish. 


*Kool Kaleidoscope free video instructions from Ricky Tims of The Quilt Show


Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Love Laugh Quilt

6 comments:

  1. Perfect solution!! It looks great now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good solution to the center dilemma. I love the look of the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea Jan! It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with the way you "fixed" that problematic center point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thought was appliques something over the ugly center and then, low and behold, in the next photo that's exactly what you did. And it looks like it was planned that way.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabric creates really cool blocks - and yep - I like the way you fixed that little problem

    ReplyDelete