Monday, August 16, 2021

Kool Kaleidoscope Progress

Work on my Kool Kaleidoscope* continues. A couple of friends are making KKs as well, and it's fun to see how everyone's KK is coming along. Our color choices are so individual, and the Kaleidoscopes are stunning. 

Ricky's directions specify pressing the seams between the Wedges open. Knowing that 12 seams would have to come together in the center and it would be very bulky, I made a small test "center" to see how it would look. I was not happy with the result. 

I prefer to press the seams all to one side, so they would spin at the center. Pressing to one side also makes it possible to stitch in the ditch for quilting later. 

Starting with the first quadrant, all seams were pressed and the center point was squared up, with extended points from the Nose trimmed to 90 degrees. This already reduced a lot of excess fabric at the center.


The top two quadrants were seamed together, and likewise the bottom two quadrants.


Then the two halves were joined. 


I was able to spin the seams at the center to minimize the bulk, and press it as flat as possible. 


It came out okay, not perfect, but flat and not obnoxious looking. 


I can see why Ricky recommends using a print or blurry fabric that will camouflage the center. 

So here's my KK so far, Wedgies and Butts added and all the Wedges sewn together. 


Sorry for the crooked photo. It really did come out square and it lays surprisingly flat. I was afraid it would be wavy or bubbly but it really came out better than I expected. When you see the whole kaleidoscope you don't notice the seams at the center. 

Next up, borders. I went shopping last week and picked up more of the black batik and the accent colors, so now I can work on finishing the borders. 


*Free video lessons from Ricky Tims of The Quilt Show. No need to subscribe or be a member to watch and participate. Wedges, Wedgies, Butts, and the Nose are actual parts of the pattern. More info here.


Link ups: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Love Laugh Quilt, Quilt Fabrication

8 comments:

  1. Wow Jan that’s impressive! Can’t wait to see your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kaleidoscope is turning out so beautiful. I have his book and I definitely need to try making one of these next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. The busy fabric for the center does hide the seam join.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great notes for following when completing my KK. Yours looks beautiful! Thanks for your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart to spin the seams! That center fabric is nice and busy to hide everything, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely. I just finished kaleidoscopes with 8 seams and that was hard enough. But 12? My gosh!

    ReplyDelete