Monday, September 13, 2021

LCT Blocks

For the Log Cabin Triangle blocks I'm making now, I'm using bright white background prints for the low volume parts. I have quite a few different prints, but not enough. You can never have too much variety in a scrappy quilt! Since I don't want the same print to land next to itself in the final layout, and I have to carefully place the blocks in the correct orientation, I decided to lay out on the design wall all the parts and logs so I could arrange them before assembling the blocks. Then I can take two of the blocks off the wall, clip the parts together, and chain piece the pair. 


In order to get them back on the wall in the same place they came from, I've numbered them. I took a Sharpie and labeled two of my clips so I could keep all the parts together. 

Then I chain pieced, still keeping the remaining pieces clipped to the block.


Even after all the logs were attached and I was pressing the blocks, I kept the numbered clips attached so I could remember which block went where in the layout. 


Now all the blocks are done and laid out on the wall. 



Link ups: Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Love Laugh Quilt





9 comments:

  1. This is such a cool block and I like how you designed this one! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really clever system. The quilt looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blocks are so simple yet the quilt is beautiful!!! Makes me want to put it on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt! I never have enough low volume scraps so I really like your system to keep them separated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marking your clips like that is a super idea! Much better than how I'm doing it, so I'm pulling out my sharpie and switching today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan,
    It is such a pretty quilt, and can be put together so many ways. I made one (without the log cabin piecing) last summer (picture in this blog post). https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/2020/05/design-wall-monday-may-11-2020.html.
    I hope you are having a little bit cooler weather there. The leaves are just starting to turn here in Michigan. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your low volume fabrics and the quilt will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea to number the clips. Seems like a brilliant idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever tip, writing numbers on the clips to label blocks and rows! I shared it with my guild and everyone is loving it :)

    ReplyDelete