Wednesday, September 1, 2021

August Stash Report and Goals Update

Boy, August sure flew by quickly! A couple of trips to local fabric stores with new friends helped with some stash enhancement. Some of my planned projects moved forward, and a totally unplanned project captured my attention. 

August Stash Report:

IN this month: 5-1/5 yards (Borders and backing for original KK, 5-1/2 yards.)
OUT this month: 6-5/8 yards (Striped KK, my fabric for top, back, binding: 3-1/8 yards. Binding for navy/yellow Strippy HST donation quilt, 1/2 yard. Backing and sleeve for How Many, 3 yards wide goods.)

IN YTD: 68-1/8 yards
OUT YTD: 72-5/8 yards
YTD Net Change: 4-1/2 yards out. 

Finishes this month include donation quilts mostly or partially made with fabric from the PCQ club's stash. I'm counting only my own fabric used. The navy and yellow Strippy HST is almost all the club's fabric except for the binding. 

The Striped KK was totally unplanned but came about because I thought the strata concept used in the real Kool Kaleidoscope could work with striped fabric and I wanted to try it out. I used striped fabric and background from the club's stash, and my own B+W swirl print, backing and binding. The club's charity committee will give these quilts to the hospice or family services agency we support. 

Those are my finishes for the month. Some of my other projects progressed, others were ignored in favor of the Striped KK. 

Goals Update: 

August Recap:

1. Make a backing, quilt navy and yellow charity top for long arm practice; bind the quilt. DONE

2. Finish hand sewing binding on How Many, (the WIGSP) and start attaching the sleeve. Good progress. The binding is done and the sleeve is more than halfway stitched on. 

3. Continue working on Kool Kaleidoscope to a flimsy. Progress but not a flimsy, the center is pieced and borders are ready to be added.   

4. Continue making blocks for the coral Snake Quilt. Progress; 25 blocks of 48 are now done. 

5. Start working on the color challenge project. Not touched. 

6. Practice FMQ on at least one of the remaining batik race pillow covers. Done, using a leaf meander pattern. 

Other: Pieced, quilted and finished a version of Kool Kaleidoscope using striped fabric. 

Snake Quilt block

Pieced Kool Kaleidoscope

FMQ Leaf Meander

September Goals: 

1. Add borders to the Kool Kaleidoscope top and make backing. 

2. Continue making blocks for the Snake Quilt.

3. Start working on the color challenge project.

4. Start working on a new version of LCT QOV for a trunk show coming up in December. 

5. Practice FMQ on another pillow panel. 

6. Finish hand sewing the sleeve on How Many. 

Looks like September will be another busy month. I've been going to Wednesday sewing in the quilting room and that helps to make progress on portable projects like piecing. There's a group that gets together on Monday evenings (called Hot Summer Nights) and going to that has been helping me get the handwork done on How Many's binding and sleeve. 

Link up: Mid-Week Makers at  Quilt Fabrication


  1. I love the striped KK! I made one that is too ugly for words-although if you look at it from about 20 feet, it isn't so bad! I will have to try it with some stripes too. Thanks for sharing!

  2. That kaleidoscope turned out very well!