Friday, October 22, 2021

WIGSP: The Very Last Stitches, Finally Finished

 Whoo-hoo! My hand pieced Work In Glacially Slow Progress is now a finish. Label, sleeve, and hand-stitched binding and all. I put the very last stitches in the sleeve earlier this week. 

It's much too big to photograph on my back yard wall, but I'll get a full photo of it sometime. Meanwhile, here it is FINISHED, draped over my sofa and coffee table.


Wool batting, beautiful drape.


My friend Sandy quilted it for me, with several different motifs in the hexies and continuous curves in the triangles. 


I'm really pleased with how it turned out. 


This quilt is now named How Many, and I want to thank everyone who helped make it over a 13 year span. 

Hand pieced by 33 members of CSQ Piecing Group

345 different batik fabrics in the top

126 hexies with 18 pieces each

756 pieced triangles

2268 little kite shaped pieces

420 black triangles and 56 black half-triangles including borders

2744 total pieces in the top

12 years to piece the top over 8 go-rounds of Piecing Group

Backing custom dyed by Vicki Welsh of Colorways by Vicki

About 96" x 98"


Link Ups: Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Alycia Quilts, Wendy's Quilts and More, My Quilt Infatuation

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing and congrats on a beautiful finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a lot of pieces and a lot of hand stitching. What a beautiful treasure you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's the end of an era. Congratulations for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celebration time!!! Congratulations!! And a backing custom dyed by Vicki is just what this project deserves. Did you think when you started it would take 13 years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I heard 13 sighs of relief that it is done;) What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just amazingly beautiful!!! That’s an heirloom for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. What a big labor of love from so many hands and hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I love the setting. I have some wool batting that I am anxious to try. It must be very warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing up this beauty, Jan!!

    ReplyDelete