Monday, November 1, 2021

October Stash Report and Goals Update

 A busy month; my "optional" project turned into my primary project. I debated whether to quilt my latest LCT top for my trunk show in December because it's easier to show and store a top than a finished quilt. But I really like how spiral quilting enhances the LCT layout so I ordered backing and quilted it. Some of my other projects had less progress as a result, but I'm satisfied with all that I got done this month. 


As long as I was ordering backing for LCT, I ordered a couple other cuts of wide backing, so my stash report took a hit this month. Moving in the wrong direction here, and I hope I can get to the break even point by the end of the year. 

October Stash Report: 

IN this month: 6 yards (3 cuts wide backings)
OUT this month: 4 yards (LCT back, 1-7/8 yards wide backing. LCT binding, 5/8 yard. Gold metallic print for Asian Squares top, 1-1/2 yards.)

IN YTD: 94-5/8 yards
OUT YTD: 89-1/4 yards
YTD Net change: 5-3/8 yards added to the stash

Since I don't count fabric used in a quilt top until the flimsy is finished, I'm not counting all that I've used in my Snake blocks yet. But the blocks are coming along, with several more made this month. 


I'm also not counting the yardage used in HOW MANY. I started it long before I started tracking my stash usage. I tallied how many different batik fabrics (345 in the top), but not how much used. Some were charm squares, some were FQs, and some were actual yardage. The backing was custom dyed for this quilt and I didn't count it into my stash so I won't count it out. And since I'm not counting anything else used in this quilt, I might as well not count the binding, which is from years ago when I was collecting batiks for this project. 


Goals Update: 

October Recap: 

1. Continue making blocks for the Snake Quilt. Yes, made several this month at social sewing.

2. Start working on the color challenge project. No, and I'm glad I haven't started yet; my concept is too much like a recent class example. 

3. Practice FMQ on the last pillow panel. Yes, quilted vines with clusters of leaves.

4. Finish sewing the sleeve on How Many.  YES!!! Finally finished the very last stitch on this Work In Glacially Slow Progress.

5. Finish piecing the current donation quilt and quilt it on PCQ's long arm. Progress, the Asian squares top is pieced but I can't get scheduled on the long arm until Nov. 2.

6. Find and start a new project for social sewing on Wednesdays, another donation quilt. Yes, started a new Plus quilt with sock monkey fabric. Piecing is underway. 

7. Optional: Make a backing for the latest LCT QOV, layer and baste and start spiral quilting. Yes, not only started but the quilt is finished and bound. 

October's donation quilt goes on the long arm on Tuesday, and will get donated next week. The top was pieced at social sewing, from a combination of donated squares and my fabric. I can't find a photo of the flimsy, so this one of the layout will have to do. 


November Goals:

1. Quilt the Asian squares donation quilt on PCQ's long arm on Nov 2. Bind and finish it.

2. Continue making blocks for the snake quilt.

3. Finish the sock monkey Plus quilt top at social sewing. Make a backing and book time on the long arm in early December to quilt it. 

4. Come up with a new plan for the color challenge, which is due in February. 

5. Assemble the batik pillow covers. 

6. Play with the KK concept using the pink striped print bought in Florida.

Now that the weather is comfortable for sitting out on our patio, I need to finish up the pillows for our chaise lounges. These were intended for FMQ practice, and I quilted leaves on the fourth panel this month, using the same variegated thread as on the other panels. My confidence in my FMQ skills has come a long way because of this project. 


That's plenty to keep me busy in November, considering that I'll have a lot of non-quilty stuff going on this month. 


So while this isn't exactly a Design Wall post, it is what I'm working on, so I'm linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Love Laugh Quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever written about how you figure out yardage for your stash report?

    ReplyDelete