Friday, April 8, 2022

A PCQ Charity Quilt, Finished

When I was first developing easy patterns for PCQ to kit up for charity quilts, I thought we needed baby quilts among other sizes. So, I made this prototype in baby quilt size, using fabric from my stash. The top finished 37-1/2 x 45".

It turns out we need quilts that are a little larger, closer to 45 x 60".

I had barely enough of the grey print to make three more blocks, but a bit more of the lavender. Six more blocks made a 45" square, but still not big enough. So I added accent strips of purple and used the lavender print for borders. The top came up to 45 x 58", close enough. 

Since it was always intended to be a PCQ charity quilt, it was eligible to use the club's backing and batting. Last week at social sewing I was able to get the batting cut and the backing pieced. I quilted it on my domestic machine at home, and now it's a finish. 

For speed and ease I gave it an allover meander. Except, I added flower-like shapes within the meandering, in each of the lavender blocks and in the borders. This was a new-to-me attempt at something more than just a meander, and while it's nowhere near perfect, it's pretty good and I like the result. 

Can you see the motifs on the front? They show up better on the back. I used more of the lavender print from the front for the binding. 

So now it's a finish, just in time for show and tell at PCQ's spring luncheon next week. 

Later I made a larger teaching sample in the same pattern, no border, and that's the version we kitted up. Several PCQ members have already finished their quilts made from the kits we provided at the March sew day. At the luncheon next week everyone who made charity quilts from our kits will show them as a group. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished! 


Linking up with Alycia Quilts and TGIFF

6 comments:

  1. Great quilted meandered flowers for a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding in the occasional flower to the meander looks great and compliments the print so nicely. Have fun getting to see all of the quilts made from kits at the lunceon next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely finish! I think the quilting design looks really good. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you'll post of photo of all the charity quilts. I am attempting to create a similar process for out Devo group, kitting up 3-yard quilts to pass out for our November sew day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Libby I hope you post photos of the finished quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute way to make it bigger!! Those colors together are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete