Monday, April 4, 2022

Bolt of Lightning on my Design Wall

The box of black and white prints from Julie was so enticing, I just had to dive in and create something. I played in EQ8 and raided my stash for some cheerful solid colors, and came up with a project using half square triangles. I found solids in coral, turquoise, and green in my stash, not much of each but enough if I used them all. 

I sewed the HSTs at social sewing a couple weeks ago, but then put everything aside while my son and grandson were here visiting last week. My sewing room was converted to guest room mode for their visit. 

Based on my EQ plan, I started putting the HSTs on the wall. I didn't want just ordinary chevrons, so the layout has a bolt of lightning effect. To get the effect I wanted I needed some all black and white HSTs, too. 


Continuing the layout with the coral blocks; I had more of the coral fabric so I was able to balance out the top and bottom with it. 


The blocks will finish at 7" so the top will be 49 x 63" when sewn, a good size for a donation quilt for a teen girl. 


I used a variety of black and white prints, 7 in all, six from the box and one from my stash. I turned the black and white HSTs so the diagonal seam runs parallel to the blue and green.

 The colors are really much perkier than they look in these photos. I think this color combo looks good and will be suitable for one of the clients of the agency we support. 

The pattern is super easy, a 7 x 9 block layout of 7" finished squares. I chose to make 7" squares because I could cut 8" squares for the most efficient yield (least waste) from my WOF, to make two-at-a-time HSTs. The resulting 49 x 63" size is perfect for our needs. The blocks are now off the wall, labeled and kitted up so I can sew the top together at social sewing. 


Link ups: Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt

9 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun layout! The bright colors against the black and white glow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific variation on the typical layout. Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun variation on the chevron theme, Jan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy I am liking this design a whole lot!! So fun, modern and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan,
    Great use of your fabric, and I like the bolts of lightening look. Great quilt for a teen - girl or boy. Thanks for faithfully linking with the Design Wall Mondays Linky Party each week. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours in this quilt! I like that the blacks aren't terrifically dark; it gives the quilt a nice feel.

    ReplyDelete