Friday, April 15, 2022

Bolt of Lightning Flimsy

This is the first of many, I hope, charity quilts for our local family services agency to come from the fabulous box of black and white prints sent by Julie


I love the variety of prints - Thanks, Julie! - and the cheerful colors. When this flimsy gets quilted and has the quilting texture rather than just piecing seams, it'll be even better. 


I see a design decision that I'm second guessing. See how the upper coral bold of lightning parallels the green, but the lower one veers off? Now I'm wondering if I should make them match. If so, which way? On the one hand the eye likes to see them all going the same way as on the right. On the other hand, I really wanted this layout to have some irregularity, which is why the blue and green stripes aren't parallel and there's more negative space. That's what I was going for on the left. Either way it's an easy fix at this point. 

This was a quick finish, but it's been so windy here that I haven't been able to take photos until now. Finally, a calm morning, but as always here, the sun is wicked but the shade is too dark, so you get bright sunny pictures. 


Linking up with Alycia Quilts and TGIFF


8 comments:

  1. I like the change in direction of the two green bolts. The variety of black and white prints is delightful, and whatever you decide for the bolt directions, I agree it's going to be really delightful when it is all quilted. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How generous of Julie! I like the top just the way it is - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice top, very dramatic! I like it just the way it is, bright bolts of lightning on a dark sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the streaks of lightning going different ways. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it just the way it is! The variety in those black and white prints adds so much interest to the background, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it like it is. Sorta improv looking.

    ReplyDelete