Monday, August 29, 2022

A New Piecing Project for Social Sewing

My design wall today looks much like it did last week with the Cube Challenge laid out, except there's a gap where I've taken down the middle columns to add the background to the ends. You can see what it looks like here. This is a work-at-home in my own studio project since it requires measuring for each background strip.

I need a new project to sew on at Social Sewing on Wednesdays. No worries, I have something. Last spring when Quilt Diva Julie sent me a donation of black and white prints for my club to use for donation quilts, I kitted up a couple of projects for future piecing. Now it's time to pull one of them out to work on. 

Inspired by some things I saw on Pinterest, I'm combining colorful four patches with black and white bricks. I had some mini charms of solids so I've been using them as leaders and enders. 

Not quite enough, so I hit up a friend who a) works in solids a lot and b) loves and keeps small scraps, and she gave me enough to finish the quantity I need. 

You know how leaders and enders soon take on a life of their own and become the primary project? Well, that's the case with these. Now that I have enough twosies, I'll take them to Social Sewing and make four patches. 

I rarely work with precuts. These little mini-charms are supposed to be 2-1/2 inches. They're a little large and I'll have to square up and trim the four patches when they're sewn. I can do that at Social Sewing, too; I think the club has a 4-1/2" square ruler I can use. 

So between the Cube Challenge project at home and this one at Social Sewing, I have plenty of piecing projects to keep me busy for awhile. 


Link ups: Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt

1 comment:

  1. Precuts are all over the place on sizing. I'd rather they were generously sized and I have to take the time to trim down, although I suspect you'll have a lot of tiny lint when you are done. Have fun at social sewing!

    ReplyDelete